[Audi A3/S3] New A3 sportback tdi

A4B6

Buy a 2.0TDI version, it's a much better car. Crawley Audi recently offered me 9% off a new 2.0TDI Sportback. I made contact with them through www.broadspeed.com but there's no reason not to go direct. The salesman who provided the quote was a chap called Ben Elton-Jones - 01293 880339. I did'nt buy through him in the end as my local dealer, Huntingdon Audi, matched the price and offered a better trade-in price. I have bought my last 5 A3s from them and dealt with the same salesman - Lee Stubbings - 01480 454545

You must go for the 2.0 litre. I've got a Passat 1.9TDI hire car at the moment and the engine is truely dreadful. Not only is it very slow, it is very (very) noisy, especially when it (eventually!) gets to 3,000rpm. The 2.0 engine isn't the most refined diesel in the world, but it's massively better than the 1.9.

The strange this is I had a couple of 1.9 previous model Passats (115 & 130) and they weren't too bad. I've either got used to something better, or the engine has gone downhill!

It'll be because the 1.9TDI in the Passat is now the 105PS version. The 2.0TDI replaced the more powerful derivative of the 1.9TDI, just as it did with the Golf, A3 and others, leaving the 1.9 in only it's lower-powered form.

I must confess I find this bizarre. Surely it'd be better to introduce a de-tuned version of the 2.0TDI for this application and retire the 1.9 altogether? Where's the logic in continuing to manufacture both types of engine?