The MkV GTI Tyre thread

DHA

OK, my car didn't come with Contis, Bridgestones or Goodyears:

Wheel Size: 18" Monzas.

Tyre model: Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 225/40-18

Miles Driven: I do 12K per year normaly, but I have only done 450 miles so far as this is a brand new car.

Season: all seasons.

Would you buy again? Don't know.

Comments:

I got my car 2 weeks ago from Motorpoint, Derby. So it's a import, possibly Dutch or Danish, I can't recall. Anyway, perhaps this explains the Dunlops.

The Dunlops seem good. Grippy in wet and dry and although I haven't pushed the car hard yet (it only has 450 miles on it), it hasn't snapped into oversteer of anything like that. The tread pattern is of the V-type like the Goodyear which I find reassuring (cuts through standing water and all that).

Judging from the replies on this thread, I would go with the Goodyear Eagles next time as an experiment. They have a good wet weather reputation, and let's face it, you need a good wet weather tyre more than you need a good dry weather tyre. I have a Porsche 993 RS on the full monty track spec Pirelli Corsa for dry weather heroics. The GTI is to get me to work, without crashing, in comfort.

I think manufacturers are very careful as to which tyres they fit as standard spec...Auto Express changed their tyres a few weeks ago on their test car. They moaned that it had only done 14k miles on the fronts! crazy.gif

I'd be chuffed with that, but you have to view things from VW'S point of view. The media is very powerful and a balance between ultimate vehicle performance and good all round performance has to be struck.

Personally I find the Conti's fine for general enthusiastic driving and have no issues. However, if I was modding my car to achieve much better dynamics then I would be keener to also find a better performing tyre.

Wheel Size 225/40/18

Tyre model Conti sport contact

Miles Driven 9000

Season winter/summer

Would you buy again? No

Comments Not bad. Not great

Wheel Size 225/40/18

Tyre model Yokahoma AVS sport

Miles Driven 5500 at present swithched from front to back

Season Summer/winter

Would you buy again? Yes and no confused.gif

Comments Excellent tyre so much grip. Inspired alot of confidence. I found my self going faster and faster around my favourite corners with the tryes squealing but no under stear.Turn in rasor sharp, road nosie better than the Contis. The big problem was they only lasted for 5000 hard miles. Get to around 3mm of tread left and they go off, badly. Have them on the back now and on these wet roads I'm glad for ESP. They have become very unpredictable. Having said that I would be tempted to buy them again. With these bad boys and dry weather who needs 4x4!

Wheel Size 225/40/18

Tyre model Falken FK452

Miles Driven 1500

Season Winter

Would you buy again? No chance

Comments Bought as a cheap stop gap over Christmas/end of tax year! I wanted to replace the Yokas with Michelin pilot sports. AT £186 each and at this time of year (don't you just love the tax man!) I wanted some thing cheaper. At the local tyre fitters they recomended the Falkens as a good cheap (if there is such a thing) tyre. With a few of there customers using them for track days. There about as good as you'd expect. Road noise is terable it sounds like I've fitted some kind of electric generator to the engine. Turn in takes what seems like a few seconds. In the wet the grip is ok at best and they tram line. So moral of the story don't buy cheap tyres (OH the shame blush.gif). Track day my arse!!!

Wheel Size17" Monza OEM.

Tyre modelBridgestone Potenza

Miles Driven4500

SeasonSummer / winter (no snow)

Would you buy again? Yes so far

Comments Great lateral grip once warmed up (need to make sure you don't lean too hard from cold). Quite alot of wheelspin in 1st / 2nd in wet which can be tricky. Never managed wheelspin in 3rd no matter how provoked.

Very good the tread pattern is simaler to the F1's. In our lovely August weather they coped well. Can't fault there preformance just wear. Having said that I knew they would not last long when I bought them. They also have very good rim protection.

If you can take how soft they are I'd recomend the Yoka's they had no problem laying 250 BHP down.

Wheel Size 225/40/18 92Y (Extra load)

Tyre model Conti sport contact

Miles Driven 8500

Season summer

Would you buy again? No, but fear I may get them on the VW SMT contract anyway

Comments I wouldn't have again by choice

These are good in the dry.

The damp/mud/cold/wet are another matter.

I suspect the press aren't allowed out in the GTI on a cold muddy wet road as we have in Kent at this time of year.

On any corner, at whatever speed, it can cruise around just about ok. However even the merest hint of torque just send the car into uncontrolled understeer into oncoming traffic......

These tyres are a nightmare and a menace in the wet dung.gif

For safety's sake I am having to pretend I am in a Nissan Micra performance-wise Flush.gif

I suspect winter tyres or a change is called for - next set aren't many thousands away 169144-ok.gif

nhs> I'm with you on the kent roads, things getting bit greasy.

Seems like bridgestones are much better in wet than Contis. Fast drive on a twisty greasy b road today and bridgestones grip well, they can be provoked into understear and wheelspin but you need to be really pushing it.

A rapid change down from 4th to 3rd then hard on the gas managed to get ESP light on briefly but never felt unsafe. 169144-ok.gif

Get some new boots on her and enjoy smile.gif

On my previous Leon Cupra R I tried Pirelli Pzeros, Conti Sport Contact and Goodyear F1s and the latter were by far the best for dry and wet grip plus wear rate was quite good as well.

One thing I didn't notice about The F1s is that when they wear down to about 3mm they seem to become very noisy and drone a bit. In fact the first time i came across it I thought I had a wheel bearing gone. Can't say I've noticed that with any other type of tyre.

My R32 came with Dunlop Sport Maxx and they seem to be quite good.

I've had Conti's on mine since new and so I've not tried any other tyres yet. Up until recently I hadn't had any cause for complaints but recently on the cold, damp (not actually wet) roads we've been having I've been finding traction away from traffic lights quite tricky - even when I don't feel I've given it that much "welly"!

I had thought maybe it was just me being a crap driver - now I think I'll blame the tyres instead!

Maybe I'll try some different tyres next time...

Wheel Size 18" Monza 225/40/18 OEM

Tyre model Continental Sport Contact 2

Miles Driven 3000

Season Summer/Early winter

Would you buy again? Probably not

Comments? I've driven 3000 miles since buying the car, but before me the car had done 13000 miles (90% motorway)on the same tyres. They are now down to 3mm at the front, so they have lasted well. I've swapped over to the winter tyres which are Bridgestone Potenza winter tyres and they are quieter and have far more grip and less stopping distance. After the winter when I swap back I'm going to replace the Contis with either F1 or Potenza.

I discovered last week that if you are on the VW Maintenance option which gives you free tyres, VW will only supply Contis and NOT any other tyre! Based very much on the valuable info posted in this thread (The Joyful Power of Tyresmoke!!), I most definitely want Eagles next and shall need one axle's worth in about 2,000 miles. So, I wasn't exactly pleased to hear this and have taken steps for a workaround so I get what I want as a paying customer.

[ QUOTE ]

If any of you live in this part of the country then Bracknell Tyre & Battery are doing the Eagle F1 GSD3's in 225/40/18 for just £94 a corner incl valves & balancing!

Just bought a set for the Audi last week. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm due soonish... what's the price for 17's? Contact details? Thanks 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If any of you live in this part of the country then Bracknell Tyre & Battery are doing the Eagle F1 GSD3's in 225/40/18 for just £94 a corner incl valves & balancing!

Just bought a set for the Audi last week. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm due soonish... what's the price for 17's? Contact details? Thanks 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unit 1, Longshot Lane Ind Est, Longshot Lane, Bracknell, RG12 1RL - 01344 411 323

Ask for Laurence. 169144-ok.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Conti SportContact 3s yet (as supplied on the Clio 197?

The various review sites (links through from mytyres.co.uk) seem to offer favourable opinions.

I have 18" SportContact 2s at the moment and while they offer terrific mechanical grip, they do feel 'wooden' and they're not as good as F1 GSD2s in the wet (Direct comparision on previous car).

Finally, any idea which are the quietest of the tier 1 tyres? The GTI does suffer from road roar on both the 17 and 18"ers

• bison unpinned this topic