Noisy 52 Passat TDi Est.

meriafel

My Passat has now covered 93k and since the fitting of an engine chip has become increasingly noisy. Plug-in chips on this PD engine are fiddly as there is little space to access the engine to ECU harness where it connects to the engine. Was aware that some noise could be down to having to disturb pipes etc but was surprised how much noise emanated from just two sources.

The biggest 'vibration' appeared to be from the bulkhead behind dash in the area of the brake servo but instead was from a rubber/steel clamp holding two small plastic pipes onto the plenum chamber bulkhead, beheath the rubber seal that holds the battery cover on the engine bay to servo/battery covered area. (close to the intercooler pipes above engine. Sorry if I haven't explained this too well!)

This clamp seems to be a push fit onto a theaded bar. The rubber hole in the clamp was enlarged and loose and the vibration was amplified by the attached 'bulkhead'. A cocktail stick and some soft wire has sorted until I get a new clamp.

A further deep induction/vibration type noise came from the air cleaner inlet pipe where it joins the air cleaner. Being a push fit it had worn loose and was pulsing and vibrating even on tickover and catching both the plasic cover above it and the underbonnet insulation when closed. I long plastic tie was used to pull this inlet pipe to the air cleaner.

Was amazed at the difference two small mods could make. (I had some time ago replaced the 3 engine cover rubbers which have a equally positive affect)

It's well worth a few mins of your time to check out the above areas in case you have any noise problems. Push fit pipes and fittings can't be expected to last indefinitely in a diesel environment. ECLIPSe.gif

• 4 weeks later...

The Tunit chip is adjustable for bhp/torque and I would expect mine to be 160+. The car always went well having been a reps car covering 58k in its first 18 months so was well run in.

The chip is on its default setting of 5. It is adjustable from 1-9. Best adjusted on a rolling road which Tunit at Chorley in Lancs will do. Chose it because I have a older Tunit chip that is currently on my son's '98 Passat TDi Sport estate 110, previously on my daughters '94 Passat Td Estate 90 bhp that has been totally reliable. Both cars are on their original clutches at 190k and I think 120k.

As for noise just open your bonnet on tckover and try and determine the source of the noise and sort it with plastic ties or tape. Replace your engine cover mounting rubbers as a matter of course.