Passatt 1.9TDi 130 SE (52)

vwpassatt

Have the 52plate Sport version. Before Christmas had all symptoms of a failing air mass meter, totally flat above 2500 rpm. No power at all with foot to floor in any gear. Swich engine off, all back to normal!

Tried new fuel, was on ESSO (normally BP Ultimate) but problem recurred again. Ordered new Air mass and MAP which I collected from the Midlands at New Year but remains unfitted as the problem hasn't shown itself since!

I suspect picking up water in fuel as fuel was low on the occasions it happened. (Our nearest BP is 15 miles away so I get a Gallon or two locally until I'm near the BP Garage).

Had another 'gremlin' last autumn that hasn't recurred. Had dash display flash up brake pads on two occasions when not even braking. Pads and discs all changed last summer so knew all was well. Again no signs since!

Hope you get sorted as easily.

[ QUOTE ]

The fuel consumption has gone up, now 35mpg 8ltrs/ 100Km was over 50mpg! no leak, no error lights, changed the Mass sensor seems worse? don't trust local dealer HELP! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My 03 Passat Estate has exactly the same problem. Happened one day last December. Fuel consumption just dropped from the usual 45mpg to 40mpg. Same weather, same tyres - pressures OK.

Had a look at the air filter which isn't too bad but the cold air box was full of leaves. Hoovered it out but no real difference.

Fault only seems to be on acceleration.. If I drive really gently, can get up to 44mpg but suspect that that should be around 50. It is due for a service in the near future (600 miles).

My suspicion is that this is pre-programmed such that you feel you have to get it serviced as something is going wrong with the the car. Other people's experiences would seem to contradict this. We'll find out in 600 miles.

Could it be something as simple as a dirty air filter? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

cold air box was full of leaves.

where is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Underneath the air filter. The inlet air pipe goes between this and the air intake located just behind the front grille. If I could work out how to include pictures I would show you but they seem to end up as attachments when I do it and it kind of loses its impact!

I was talking to the local garage guy this morning and he recons you have to chisel out the debris on some cars. It's because the filter is simply replaced during a service with scant regard for anything else. They are difficult to get at on a Passat so it's no wonder they get little attention.

Chris

I did change the air filter yesterday, it looked too dirty if the dealer had changed it september and lots of straw underneeth? vac'd out and blow the rest but still not showing much above 30mpg takes all day to 40mpg. I have fill up for a 100 mile test and the max range is now 550 was 630 on a tank full. but still goes like a rocket!! thank god.

• 2 weeks later...

still no real answer, but I put a lot of addative to clean the jets and instant improvment cheap supermarket fuel now i will fill 2 tanks of ESSO + addative then 2 tanks of the best BP + addative I think this could solve it.

Local dealer wants over 2000 NO garentee the bastards, i think they did it.