A4 (B5) Bonnet/Hood latch problem! Help!

Henke

Hi,

I've a flat battery in my B5 yr 2000 A4 1.8T quattro so obviously I need to get at the battery but when I try to pull the lever under the steering column, nothing happens. The lever itself seems fine and I think the problem is at the actual latch at the front of the bonnet. I've taken off the grill and can move the lever (which usually pops out through the grill when the inside lever is pulled) but nothing happens. Its virtually impossible to see the latch mechanism looking up through the grill opening. Perhaps someone is familiar which this latch and what I'd need to get at to open it?

Anyone ever have a problem like this or perhaps offer any advice? I really want to exhaust all options before having to call the dealership to get this sorted. Cheers!

In fact, even if someone with a B5 audi A4 (99/2000) could take a photo of the mechanism/latch under the bonnet and post it, I'd appreciate it

I've hardly cleaned any of it. Believe it or not, I can count the number of times that car has been washed since I bought it in June on one hand! blush.gif

It needs doing properly, inside and out and top to bottom. That'll be my summer 'project', after I've finished the S4.

Grrr! smashfreakB.gif headwrecking situation. I can start her with a tow but the battery doesn't seem to be keeping the charge even after a good 30min run, it starts sluggish.

Called the local Audi garage and they said I'd have to wait 3 WEEKS! for anyone to be able to look at it. I pleaded my case and am hoping to hear back from them soon so I can bring it into them. I've tried everything including WD-40 and applying pressure but just won't budge, even called the AA and the guy couldn't do anything with it apart from taking off the front bumper and radiator myself, erm no thanks!

Lesson for you all! Take care of the little things like bonnet latches! crazy.gifwink.gif cheers all for the advice

• 2 years later...

Just registered and thought I should add my comments as I just had this problem.

My 2000 A4 would pop to the safety latch but the bonnet release catch was seized.

To get the bonnet open I gently removed the chrome trim around the front grille. It has clips on the inner side so gently prize the outer egde with your fingers till it all comes away.

Then remove the front grille by pulling the top out. You may need to use a flat head screwdriver to help with this so use some card so as to not damage the bonnet. It will eventually pop out and the catches that hold it in shouldn't be damaged. If you see where the catches are you can push them down as you pull the grille forward, that might help.

The bottom of the grille does not pop out, you lift the grill up and out once the top comes free.

Then you can easily see up to the catch, spay it with WD40 or release agent and it will eventually loosen up.

Then just grease up the mechanism so it won't happen again.

• 2 months later...