PS3 Launch March 23rd.

Snail

London, 24 January 2007 - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe today announced that PLAYSTATION®3 will be launched in the PAL territories including the United Kingdom on 23rd March 2007 at a price of £425.

Responding to retail and consumer demand, SCEE confirmed that initially only the 60GB model would be available, with the 20GB model to follow later in the year dependent on demand.

An expected one million PS3 units will be made available during the initial launch period to all SCEE territories.

SCEE also announced a stellar launch line-up of over 30 game titles for PS3, including eagerly awaited titles published by SCEE such as Resistance: Fall of Man™, MotorStorm™, Genji™: Days of the Blade, FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION and Ridge Racer™ 7. An exceptional range of titles in every genre will also be available at launch from the world's leading third party publishers, including Electronic Arts, Activision, Namco Bandai, Sega, Take 2, Ubisoft, Vivendi Universal, and Sony Online Entertainment.

In addition to games on disc, an exciting range of fully-featured downloadable games

will debut on the PLAYSTATION®Network. These will include gaming icons such as Tekken®: Dark Resurrection and Gran Turismo® HD Concept; the fully-featured PS3 debut of the best-selling franchise Gran Turismo, realised with full HD (1080p) visual quality. Created by Polyphony Digital Inc and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, Gran Turismo® HD Concept has been downloaded by more than 350,000 users since it was released in December 2006 in North America and Japan.

Also available on the PLAYSTATION®Network will be brainteasers such as Go! Sudoku and Go! Puzzle, and innovative games such as Blast Factor™ and flOw™, designed exclusively for PLAYSTATION 3 and delivering on the promise to provide original content created by non-traditional developers and publishers.

Concurrent with the European launch, a new System Update to further enhance the entertainment potential of PS3 will be issued.

Announcing the launch details, Ray Maguire, SVP and MD of SCEUK said, "Following the hugely successful launches of PS3 in Japan and North America, we are absolutely delighted to be able to bring significant numbers of PS3 to the UK. To be able to launch with over 30 titles including retail versions and great downloadable gaming experiences across every genre shows that this is our strongest launch line-up in the history of PlayStation, and is what PlayStation fans in the UK have been crying out for."

PLAYSTATION 3 LAUNCH TITLE LINE-UP

Resistance: Fall of Man™ - SCEE - Disc

MotorStorm™ - SCEE - Disc

Genji™: Days of the Blade - SCEE - Disc

FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION - SCEE - Disc

Ridge Racer™ 7 - SCEE - Disc

Tekken®: Dark Resurrection - SCEE - Network

Lemmings™ - SCEE - Network

Go! Sudoku - SCEE - Network

Go! Puzzle - SCEE - Network

Blast Factor™ - SCEE - Network

flOw™ - SCEE - Network

Super Rub'a'Dub - SCEE - Network

Call of Duty 3 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc

Gundam - Target in Sight - Namco Bandai Games - Disc

Full Auto™ 2: Battle Lines - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Sonic the Hedgehog™ - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Virtua Fighter™ 5 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

Virtua Tennis™ 3 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

World Snooker Championship 2007 - Sega®Europe Ltd - Disc

NBA 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc

NHL 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc

Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc

Def Jam: Icon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

The Godfather: The Don's Edition - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc

F.E.A.R. Vivendi - Universal Games Intl SA - Disc

Gripshift - Sony Online Entertainment - Network

PLAYSTATION 3 Peripherals Available at Launch

Peripheral - RRP in £ Sterling

SIXAXIS™ Wireless Controller - £34.99

Blu-ray Disc Remote Control - £17.99

HDMI Cable - £17.99

AV cable - £17.99

Component AV cable - £17.99

S Video cable - £12.99

Source

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always said that I would get one to go alongside the 360, but to be honest I'm struggling to find a reason to order one especially as there seem to be no must have exclusive games at launch and with a price of £425 it's not exactly cheap.

In fact what exclusive games are coming out for the PS3 this year??, the new proper GT is delayed until 2008 and microsoft seemed to have managed to get a dual launch of most new titles. Anyone know what is exclusive to PS3 within 6 months of launch.

[ QUOTE ]

In fact what exclusive games are coming out for the PS3 this year??, the new proper GT is delayed until 2008 and microsoft seemed to have managed to get a dual launch of most new titles. Anyone know what is exclusive to PS3 within 6 months of launch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats the point. This generation having both 360 and PS3 is not really worth it. Both have their strong points, and reasons for buying, but neither have a sufficiently different game lineup to justify both.

The Wii on the other hand, if they can keep coming up with innovative fund games, they can make a great console to complement either HD console.

I think thats it, it is more than just a console but they will have to do some great marketing to get that over to some of the parents that are going to foot the bill.

Blueray is great to have but there is very little out media wise for it yet so thats not a major play either but will be. Taking for granted that they had a HD TV for the 360 already.

I don't think the PS3 will really hit its stide until later this year early next when some of the big titles come out.

Those couple of Sudoku tiles are certainly making me think ... grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

£425..

i reckon they've overcooked the price. It means they have moved away from a 'family' machine into the adult gaming market. I can't see too many people forking out £425 for their kid to play sonic on smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the PlayStation being pitched as a family machine. That's what Nintendo is good at, but PS1/PS2/PS3 are for your more serious gamers.

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose in their defence you could say that it's more than just a games consule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. As Danksy mentioned, it's got a Blu-Ray player built in. I appreciate the format wars haven't been won yet, but large shipments of PS3s could seal that fate as the movie industry has said. There are also more production houses signed up to Blu-Ray, than HD-DVD.

If you've already got a 360, then I don't think there is a point in moving over to a PS3. Side-by-side, I think the PS3 is far more polished than the 360, but they are both cracking machines.

A few years down the line, when the PS3 has been out a while, developers will push it much more - as they did with the PS2. I think then people will notice the performance difference in the two machines!

I'll be waiting a little while for the PS3 mad-rush to die down and then I'll buy one.

I'll think you will find most parents have pre-ordered or reserved due to the nightmares people have had with the wii. Most teenagers would have grown up with a Sony machine, so will most probably have a large number of people purchasing anyway. I remember pS2 launch and the uproar with cost's soon died down when the DVD was utilised more.

I'm not a parent, but there is a big difference between spending £200 ish to get something and £400 for Joey to have what they want.

I think there is a point that having 1 or at the most 2 consoles is more than enough. If I'd got a XBOX360 justfying a PS3 will be very hard, a decision many parents I'm sure will have to go through.

Getting one so that I can play with it and use it as a media centre .. well thats different. coffee.gifgrin.gif

Yeah I know, its difficult to predict. It just becomes less of an impulse purchase.

Finding £250 for a present now is fine and then get the HD-DVD drive later. Getting everything in one box is good and I'm not saying its not good value for money, but it will be difficult to justify it for more families thats all.

Will have to see what happens. smile.gif

And I've just read the announcement again and realised that you don't have any HD cables included you have to buy those on top. So for a decent launch package of 3 games, HD leads, and an extra controller you're looking at over £600 EEK2.GIF

I think I'm going to follow you Dave and get a wii to go with the 360. I think both of those will cover the next generation experience.

Will possibly look again at the PS3 at the time of the first price cut or if a truly mind blowing exclusive game comes along. I was thinking of preording one just to ebay it if I didn't like it, but at those prices I just don't see the same profits being made for a Spring launch, compared to the premium the 360 & wii commanded at their launches due to their pre-christmas demand.

BTW Dave where did you manage to order a wii from ? 169144-ok.gif