Subaru Legacy

converse120

Hi,

I’m after owners’ opinions on the Subaru Legacy, especially the 3.0 R Spec B manual, which I may be buying tomorrow (used).

Usual ownership stuff, like :

average fuel economy (23 or more is fine)

servicing costs

how to make the radio/CD sound better

Also, anyone know when the latest sat-nav disk was issued? And has anyone heard or bought the rear silencer upgrade advertised on Subaru’s website, or know of other options?

Any finally, any real differences between 05 MY and 06 MY ?

Many Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have an 06 Spec B manual in black. Picked it up in December to replace a 3.0Rn auto. Fantastic car! 169144-ok.gif

Fuel economy really depends on what kind of driving you'll be doing. Contrary to the official figures the manual is actually better than the auto. Stop/start urban driving is 19/20mpg, a steady 75 mph cruise is 30mpg+, I've been doing mainly long trips of late and have been averaging around 27/28mpg. A 50/50 mix of urban/rural should easily see 23mpg even with a heavy right foot, and probably 24/25.

Not entirely sure on servicing costs cos I had free servicing on the 3.0Rn and haven't had this one done yet. Probably £160ish for 10k and £240ish for 20k. Cheaper than BMW/Audi, but not that much cheaper.

It's not on the website, but you can get a subwoofer that goes under the passenger seat. This really helps to fill out the sound. Costs around £200 I think. You could probably do similar for less independently.

Sat Nav - I think the disk in mine is 2005. If it has the M6 Toll on it, that'll be the one. My 3.0Rn had a 2003/4 disk... and you'd be amazed how many roads have been built since then! tongue.gif

I've considered the Prodrive rear silencer myself, but my insurance company isn't particularly mod friendly so probably won't bother. Not heard one so no idea how different it sounds - potentially very good I'd have thought... you already get a nice 911 bark at 5k+ revs! 169144-ok.gif

To my knowledge 2005 and 2006 model years are practically identical (maybe some minor tweaks to the computer and switchgear).

Subaru do a couple of bluetooth options, but my dealer told me to go independent ("but get him to call me before he starts - there are some tricky bits to getting the trim off"). Not sure about iPod... probably best to speak to a good independent ICE expert. (I know one if you're in the Manchester area. grin.gif ).

All in all I love the car. It's surprisingly quick, excellent neutral handling, not overly thirsty for a 3.0, looks great in a fairly restrained kind of way (especially in black grin.gif ), and for me the fact no-one knows what it is is a bonus!

Hope that helps. I'll do my best to answer any other queries you have! 169144-ok.gif

Hi Garcon, thanks for the comprehensive reply, much appreciated. Real information on this car is so hard to come by, unlike its smaller brother.

Are there any other online resources ?

I too like the discreet option, since being targeted for my old Impreza, and also because I would rather 'Speak softly and carry a big stick'.

The car is Nov '04 / 54 plate / 27k miles / £14495, saloon, manual. I'd prefer the black like yours, but the cheapest I've seen in black is 2.5k more (albeit with many fewer miles), and I just can't stretch that far. If you know anywhere to find used ones other than Subaru's website or Autotrader, I'd love to know.

I've driven 2 now, an estate auto, and this saloon manual, and the manual does feel noticeably quicker.

I'll let you know if I end up getting it, just got to see if I can afford the dealer's best price.

Cheers

Ian

Much the same reasons for me - had a succession of Imprezas over the years, but too 'shouty' now (though I was sorely tempted by the RB320 frown.gif ).

Sounds like a decent price. There's very few out there, and most dealer cars are newer/low mileage and £18k or so.

I don't really know of any good websites - it's too rare a car I suppose! There may be some info on scoobynet.com, but that is primarily Impreza.

Cheers Garcon. In a quandry now. My local dealer has today offered me a good deal on a 3.0RN that he'll have in beginning of March, 05 plate in black, so newer car, fewer miles, better colour (IMHO), about £14k. The RN is only available as an auto and comes on 'normal' sports suspension and 17" wheels. Any views on the auto box and suspension in an RN ? He doesn't have one in stock at the moment, but I'm borrowing his auto spec B demo for a day next week to see what I think of the auto box. I'll have to see if I can get a drive in an RN somewhere else.

I would definitely get a drive in an auto before deciding. Though I'd imagine his demo is the 2007 car - quite different, and a little bit quicker!

I guess it depends on what kind of driver you are - I had decided on an auto a while back through laziness as much as anything, but I found the box in the Rn quite frustrating and ended up yearning for the control of a manual again. It isn't the best auto box around by a long way. Make sure you try it in various circumstances - use the tiptronic to change manually, try the kickdown etc. It seems to sap quite a bit of power, and there are times it 'hunts' for the right gear.

Suspension on the RN is softer but not overly so - does make it a fair bit more comfortable on our wonderful roads.

Otherwise, spec is more or less identical. I'm guessing it has the cream leather interior - as mine did. Not particularly sporty, but I liked it.

Again, thanks. The Rn he's offered me is black with black leather.

I noticed the performance figures show the auto as a lot slower than the manual. I don't want to lose too much in terms of acceleration and I don't want to be frustrated by an auto box - I'm coming from a merc c43 AMG, which was quick, but had a lazy gearbox and needed a second or two to think about kicking down - worse than turbo lag !

I'm in Solihull, West Mids.

• 3 weeks later...