12k budget, sports car required, which one?

Andrew

I have a mate who fancies spending some of his hard earned cash on a sports car. Worryingly he mentioned an MX5 to me last night which I tried to put him off!! What would you recommend to him as a fun sports car (nothing like an S3, LCR or R32) that he might be able to buy for £12k? He is not a particularly enthusiastic driver so something with some mod cons would definately be required (i.e. no 2nd hand Caterhams!!).

MX5's are great fun - as much fun as (dare i say it) my S3.

You can pick up a decent one for £10k and spend a few k modding it. and boy, are there mods galore for these cars!

If the S3 goes, the MX5 will be high on the list of possible replacements.

The MGF on the other hand is a pile of dung.gif

Having owned both i can happily say that the MX5 is the only car that i'd ever buy again.

If I had £12K to spend and wanted a sports car, I'd go for either a Mk2 MR2 Turbo or a GT-Turbo Skyline R33 (Not GTR, so only 2 wheel drive).

Both have very strong engines and can be modified to horrible levels of power and stick to the road like [censored] to a blanket! grin.gif

Both are Jap imports, which is the only problem, but they're also by Jap manufacturers which means that, although they ain't exactly gonna be brand new, as long as you buy sensibly, you shouldn't have any problems with them at all...

Go-on. You know you wanna! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I have a mate who fancies spending some of his hard earned cash on a sports car. Worryingly he mentioned an MX5 to me last night which I tried to put him off!! What would you recommend to him as a fun sports car (nothing like an S3, LCR or R32) that he might be able to buy for £12k? He is not a particularly enthusiastic driver so something with some mod cons would definately be required (i.e. no 2nd hand Caterhams!!).

[/ QUOTE ]

I must say a MX-5 1.6 turbo will go like fcuk. I was teasing my mate who has a old one (H plate) and that pulls away outragously quick. I sat in it and it is not the most comfortable car to be in, but saying that driving pleasure is good. I would'nt have one but they are fun. His is a LeMans special edition. rocketwhore.gif

[ QUOTE ]

clio 172 cup..brand new for 11k

[/ QUOTE ]

007's right.. get this one, they really are feckin fast. I drove my mates one and couldnt belive the speed... almost as fast as my R32 aswell... well almost alomst if you know what i mean. Got to watch out for the torque steer though, i almost shot of a rounderbout at the wrong turn smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

Depends what he wants - if he wants just a fun car then go for the MX5 - we have had two and they are fantastic cars.

If he wants something more practical then the Clio cup is also a great car, i would spend more than base price and get one with a/c though - mine was awful this summer with no ac.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Porsche 968 Clubsport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Porsche 968 Clubsport. FFS!

[/ QUOTE ] Nice choice, i'm with the 968 too... or even a 928 S4 and keep some cash back for a tickle smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine till something goes wrong. More likely with an older car and bigger money too...

Have owned a SLK and it isnt a bad car TBH - not a sports car though more of a tourer, good ride and long distance car, but didnt think the handling was brilliant. Didnt liek the 200 version - I had 230 which was ok, have since driven 320 which was nice.

Didnt realise these came this cheap.