[Audi A3/S3] Red S3's

iambaz

So I bought my S3 the other day. I am very pleased with everything about it apart from one thing....the colour. It is meant to be red but really does look orange/pink especially at night under the street lighting, but also in daylight. I looked on auto trader website and there seems to be two types of Red S3. My Red and a much nicer deeper red. Is this so?

The car is a 51 plate, so I doubt it has faded in a few years. I am tempted to get a respray, but someone suggested it might just need a good waxing at a good body shop. Has anybody else had an S3 this colour or any experience with resprays/bodyshops or anything?

Thanks Guys!

Absolute red is Orangey red.

Misano (special order RS4 colour) is the deeper red.

And there is a very rare , one off S3.

My first S3, factory painted in Unique Ferrari Rosso Corsa Red.

Rosso Corsa was a couple of shades darker than Misano. cool.gif

I imported mine as UK spec, and the chap that I bought it through, had friends with contacts in the right places in Audi Germany.

The exchange rate back then was great 169144-ok.gif so was cheaper than the UK £1500 special order Misano price.

Well worth it for a one off. 169144-ok.gif

Absolute Red tongue.gif

Love that colour.

Was my first choice when searching for an S3, but could I find one...

Ended up with nice, but oh so boring silver.

Give it a wee while baz. Sure you'll grow to appreciate how unique it is, especially with the current trend for 70's colours.

Can you post a few pics please to allow me to tongue.gif drool tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

absolute red is all wrong for the reaons you mention - its too orangey

respray is a bit drastic and will harm resale, why not just sell it and replace at minimal cost with a simila car of better colour?

[/ QUOTE ]

Case of one man's meat and all that I suppose...

Baz, if it becomes so bad that you can't live with it any longer, let me know and we might be able to arrange a swap grin.gif

Hey Guys, I think you might be right dokko, I am starting to like it a little more, it looks good in some light but bad in others, it's definately a strange colour! I think the thing that does my head in about it most is that it just looks so lightweight at night especially under the street lighting.

I think i'll set a Saturday aside to give it a proper good waxing and make my decision then. Although it's growing on me, I do think that I might like a 'boring' black or silver.

Sounds like you did well there Paul! I haven't seen it but if I could get my S3 any colour it would definately be a deep blood red! You got any photos?

See now after seeing that, i don't think I can live with my orange tint now! That's really nice that Paul, proper red!

I've booked it in anyway to the body shop for next weekend. The guy said a respray would be a little drastic and that a good wax would bring out the red but i'm scepticle as I just dont think the guy realises how orange this red is! Ah well, fingers crossed!

[ QUOTE ]

+++ funny that as i quite fancy a CSL if funds permitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it Paul, you honestly won't regret it. What I miss about the S3 is the fact I could use it every day, and seeing it pishing rain outside never bothered me because of Quattro. On a nice dry day, windows down and some twisty back roads soon makes you smile in the CSL though! grin.gifECLIPSe.gif

The CSL is too thirsty for the miles I do so I can't use it every day unfortunately. frown.gif

When are you thinking of changing?

I liked the Absolute red, but agree it does have an orange tint. Keep it clean (and tyres blacked) and well shined it looks good, the red will appear deeper. Let it get dirty or neglect the polish, and that's when the orange tint comes out. I had mine supaguarded, but I reckon a decent glaze helps to richen/darken the colour and bring out the red.

1115539-IMGP1639%28Medium%29.JPG

post-129-137914394693_thumb.jpg

Hey Justin, you're completely right. I put some black on the tyres, spent some time on the wheels and already it's looking much better! I'm gonna give it a good wax on Saturday and hopefully i'll be content then, but I am definately growing to like it.

[ QUOTE ]

I liked the Absolute red, but agree it does have an orange tint. Keep it clean (and tyres blacked) and well shined it looks good, the red will appear deeper. Let it get dirty or neglect the polish, and that's when the orange tint comes out. I had mine supaguarded, but I reckon a decent glaze helps to richen/darken the colour and bring out the red.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

It all depends on the lights when you see it....

Most of the pictures are taken after stage 3 Meguiars treatment. Kind of do it every month...

http://vagner.jeje.je/bilder/albums/album282/S3_2.sized.jpg

http://vagner.jeje.je/bilder/album337/IMG_4022

Check out my 2 albums for mpre pictures:

http://vagner.jeje.je/bilder/album282?page=1

http://vagner.jeje.je/bilder/album337

love absolute red.

• 10 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Yes that’s my original Rosso Corsa ( Ferrari ) red S3 it had a couple of TSN owners after me,  and didn’t have those wheels , stance, or front splitter, 

was Also seen on ASN , that photo I think was probably the ASN billing Stand judging by the
distinctive tent... 

here it is new 

29024FA0-02F0-450F-9930-A570D54122E9.jpeg

Edited by Paul
corrected uploaded picture.
  • Like 1