Mazda RX8

Blaa

Interesting car the RX8 - my wife and I test drove one as a replacement for her A2, with the requirement for practicality and a bit of fun.

Due to time constraints, I didnt get a drive, but the conclusions were:

+ Nice driving position and handling / performance, but engine needs to be revved hard ECLIPSe.gif

+ Sporty interior looks smart, and package is good value with leather seats, 6-speed gearbox, Xenons etc etc on the £22k model

+ Rear hinged doors allow superb access to the back, so getting a baby seat in and out would be easy suicide.gif

- Rear /over-the-shoulder visibility was very poor, and my wife had major problems pulling out at junctions (maybe for taller people this would be less of an issue ?)

- Rear seats are two individual seats, with a large transmission tunnel running through the middle, reducing practicality

- Rear seats do not fold so reduced practicality

- Boot is probably too small for use as a family car, although Mazda claim you can fit 2 sets of gold clubs in it NONO3.GIF

- Boot aperature is very small indeed - can't see a push chair and other baby equipment fitting very easily

We may try and take the car for a longer test drive so that a) I get a go and b) we can have a proper test of the boot capacity etc

That's my thoughts, anyone else driven one ??

Sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

I heard that the back doors won't open if the front doors are closed. Is that right??

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess so, had the same 'suicide doors' on my Chevy. the front doors close over the rear ones, and it's better that way too... Wouldn't wanna think what'd happen if some nitwit opened these doors while in motion... EEK2.GIFgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/EEK2.GIF[/img] grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The same as normal rear doors, surely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, cos a normal door would be slammed shut at say 90MPH if opened, whereas a suicide one would fly open, and either hit the bodywork, or get ripped off.......dangerous in either scenario!!

[ QUOTE ]

why are they called suicide doors if you can't commit suicide? surely they should be called non-suicide doors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're only referred to as "Suicide" doors if you could open them at speed, making them like big wings to knack the car. You get proper suicides a lot on custom old bugs... grin.gif

Rear doors opening backwards are commonly referred to as "suicide doors". On newer models you can't open them anymore while driving, that name came from the older ones, where you could.

lincoln.jpg

The old Lincolns were a (great looking) example of this. Seems there is a new Concept car which indicates they may go back to that style.

lincoln.continental.profint.500.jpg

I'm the wrong one to ask dude, the A/S3 was just <font color="red">made</font> for me (or vice-versa) grin.gif

I guess it all comes down to.... do you feel it's time for a new car?? If yes, and you like the RX8, when you drive it, does it give you what you expect/want? If so, don't let the whole "Japanese" car thing bother you jump.gif

To be honest, I've actually been looking at Scoobies and Evo's if I can't get my A3 or a new A3 back into the States when I have to move back ooo.gif

beerchug.gif

Dont do it mate. In the past they had so many problems with the rotary engines. I know this is differnat but, it is still one of a kind and definatly prone to teething problems. I was also thinking about the RX8 as an alternative to the R32, but my dad changed my mind.

I mean a 1.3 producing 237bhp cant be good right??? I would ware that engine out in 6 months. Apart from that i recently read a complain in Autocar from a customer who test drove the car and was seriously disapointed by the performance. I recon it will be a big step down from the S3, and i am totally agains the decision. You wanna change get the R32 wink.gif