1U low-profile coolers for Core 2 Duo

Chris_B

Guys, I'm looking to build a 1U rackmount in a Chieftec case, using a Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz processor, but I need a low-profile cooler to replace the bulky stock one.

This CoolerMaster and this Hiper don't list Core 2 Duo, only Pentium D / Celeron D. Will they work with a Core 2 Duo?

The X-Case site suggest that this 'Zalam' [sic] cooler and the Hiper one both support Core 2 Duo, but the Zalman looks a little bit high for 1U and the Hiper page doesn't suggest Core 2 Duo, as noted above. Think either one would work in a 1U case?

Last one; this Hiper has a product code that I can't find on the Hiper site. think it's a mislabelled HFC-1082<font color="red">8</font>-C2?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm a bit of a cooling n00b in that I usually buy a retail CPU and use the cooler that came with it, and have only built 2U, 3U and tower cases before. 1U challenges are all new to me!

I'd be a bit careful about how you build a 1U machine, a lot is invested by the big boys on the cooling side so they don't melt themselves, and even they have trouble still sometimes. 169144-ok.gif

Is this going to be a one off 1U server or could you look at blades maybe ?

Oh, I'm looking at blades alright - hundreds over the next year if things go to plan. grin.gif

However, at £1500 a pop (heavily discounted), blades are a bit expensive for a box to sit sniffing network traffic so I can do a bit of analysis (Netflow and the like). A pair of rough & ready self-built boxes will do just fine. When they've done their job, I'll recycle them for labs, or perhaps as my own personal play servers! laugh.gif

Besides, they're going into a comms cabinet and I won't have room or weight allowance for a hefty 9U blade chassis (IBM BladeCentre H) in there.

Actually, thinking about it it won't be E6300 processors, it will probably be the E6600 2.4Ghz CPU because it's going to be a number cruncher box.

Core 2 Duo CPUs are pretty low power and have good TDP compared to Pentium D, so I'd hope a cooler that can do a Pentium D can handle the heat, it's just physical mounting and height that worry me - don't want to end up with 1U cases that I can't get a CPU cooler into.

If I could source the Antec bits I'd consider going 2U but 26" rails seem to be in short supply, and the Chaintec is the lest offensive looking alternative I can find (Chenbro's 2U non-resilient case is ugly!).

Damn. 4 days late. I just chucked a 3u Antec case away at the weekend. It had been cluttering up my garage after a recent office move and it had a set of sliding rails sutiable for a 4 post cabinet. If I'd known, I would have removed them and you could have had them. I actually bought the rails seperately from a Micro Anvika store in Tottenham Court Road and they were the best bit of the server. Sorry.

I've played with custom 1U and blade-style servers for the last few years with varying degrees of success. The big boys do 1U by optimising the air flow through the case and using a passive cooler on the CPU. This is pretty much impossible with a retail motherboard as the RAM blocks any air movement. If you are going to do this I strongly suggest that you use a "skiving" or "centrifugal" cooler (not my terms!) such as this as I have found them to be much better than other designs such as those in the links above. Anything with a standard fan on it won't last especially if the temps go up a little. I've built a couple of 1U CoreDuo boxes with this cooler and they've been fine....they don't generate much heat anyway!

My absolute recomendation however is to go no less than 2U and use the retail Intel cooler. It's a cheaper and FAR more reliable method. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My absolute recomendation however is to go no less than 2U and use the retail Intel cooler. It's a cheaper and FAR more reliable method. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers, but I've already ordered the 1U cases. Oops!

Still, I don't expect these boxes to have to work really hard, and they'll be housed in a location with a 13C ambient temperature, so they'll hopefully be fine. I guess I'll have to makre sure that they've got good thermal monitoring and management - that means having to get lm_sensors to play properly with a Tyan or Supermicro board.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers, but I've already ordered the 1U cases. Oops!

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I wish you'd piped up sooner. blush.gif

I haven't committed marrying up the motherboard and CPU yet, but first problem is the standard ATX size IO shield is too tall for a 1U case, and of course the shield that came with the case has the wrong layout for the board I'm using...