RNS-E Navi Plus SD card limitation?

Hi I have just purchased an '06 A4 with Nav and was wondering if there is any limitation to the size of the SD card slot. Can I use an 8 GIG card? Also what information is displayed on the screen when playing via the SD card? Does it at least show the file name or is it just track 1, track 2, etc.

Thanks

G

Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be getting 2 gig cards. I was thinking about integrating the ipod to the stereo but I havent found a solution that will work for me. I dont like the idea of being restricted to playing 5 playlists and when you have 20000 songs on your ipod it's nice to be able to see the track info.

Glad to be on board. It took me a while to find a good Audi forum and so far this one seems to be good.

G

Welcome to Tyresmoke.

TBH i use the Audi ipod connector and havent really had an issue with the 5 playlists, i use it mainly to have just random music playing, I like all the stuff on there, so it generally does the whole lot (list 6 I think), the others are reserved for the few tracks i like and might listen to specifically.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi I have just purchased an '06 A4 with Nav and was wondering if there is any limitation to the size of the SD card slot. Can I use an 8 GIG card? Also what information is displayed on the screen when playing via the SD card? Does it at least show the file name or is it just track 1, track 2, etc.

Thanks

G

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick search would have found a lot of discussion on this subject. Here's a summary:

SD cards ONLY, NOT SDHC

Sizes up to 4GB work fine.

512 objects per card maximum, objects = MP3 files + folders + M3U files

You can choose whether to show file names or track names.

If you want to control both the order of play and what appears on the DIS then you can use playlists.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi - sorry to appear thick but despite reading through all the previous threads, I cannot find a reference to the help I would like. I have converted my I-Pod files via the ID3 Tag to mp3 format, v2.2 and transferred them to various folders on my SD cards. However, when viewing the contents on my screen via the MP3 control wheel, upon pressing NAME, the only line displaying any information is the top line which shows for example 2-01 Freebird/ Full Version / mp3. All of the following lines Song Name, Artist Name, Album, Year, Comments and Genre are all blank. Do I need to do something else or is this all that I will achieve? Ta

Thanks for the tip - I foolishly used I-Tunes and not Windows to convert to MP3 and add the tags. It appears that v2.2 tag was automatically used but this does not incorporate all the details under NAME. However, going back into ADVANCED in I-Tunes and changing to a v1.0 tag solves the problem. Happy!

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys

I am struggling with getting my unit to read any data from my cards.

I have 3 different cards - tried formatting them as fat 32 copy a few tracks to them (MP3) in folders in the root of the card and always get "data corrupt" error.

I tried FAT as well - just not getting anywhere.

My cards are Sandisk 1GB, Sandisk 512mb and Toshiba 512 (viking badged).

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks

Tone

Other people are using the same cards as you, so the cards are OK.

I can think of two possible problems:

1) are you copying only MP3 files or a complete folder? When you copy a complete folder some system files get copied too - and the RNS-E doesn't "like" those.

2) do your MP3 files have ID3 v2.0 or later tags? The RNS-E cannot handle those - although usually this results in a file just not playing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Has anyone had any problems with the individual filesize of an mp3 file on the sd card? i have some podcasts that are in excess on 10MB and the rns-e player just skips them whenever i try to select them.

I know people who have MP3 files over nearly 50MB so I don't think size is the problem.

More likely is the ID3 tag version. I suspect the podcasts have an ID3 tag that is a later version, try editing the MP3 with an MP3 editor and changing the ID3 tag to a v1 type.

I had this problems with MP3 files ripped off a DVD, changing the ID3 tag version sorted it.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but it's still worth a lot for those of us finding it via Google.

Just some additional information. I haven't had problems with large files either, the largest one I have in my car is 114MB and it works fine. However what I have discovered that can make files "disappear" are very long file names. They just don't list in the track listing. Shorten the file name on a computer and they work just fine... :)

• bison unpinned this topic