It's official - Clarkson likes the R8

techieboy

WOW - and its an Audi.

Even though I cancelled my R8 (lots of reasons) I'm really pleased for Audi - I can vouch that the magnetic dampers on my TTR 3.2 are outstanding.

Makes me hope that the RS5 will be brilliant - magnetic dampers, space for the kids and £30k less.

I am glad he likes it but does anyone really take his opinion seriously anymore. crazy.gif

I prefer the reviews in Evo and even Autocar to his waffle sometime. Great fun on the Top gear but apart from that not so sure.

Great to see the R8 doing so well, lovely car 169144-ok.gif

AZ

I'm surprised that there are enough people with £80,000 to spend on a motor, who wouldn't choose a Porsche, Lambo or Ferrari first.

It is getting excellent write up's.. evo is gushing.. but even so, i still feel it is a bit like the W12 VW.. I'm still to be convinced that the Audi badge can carry such a car.

My opinion is still that it will ride a wave for a year or so, or until the next best thing comes out of Germany and then it will start to suffer.

I also worry (well, not worry but think) about the V10. How would you feel to have spent £80,000 on a V8 only to find out that the V10 is due 12 months later. Of course the super rich won't blink an eyelid, but it will hurt residuals on the V8.

Fully agree with all the above dave but if we isolate the R8 as a car and forget the brand it is very very tempting proposition. I was highly disappointed with the drive of the Gallardo and have a feeling judging by Evos review and lap times that the Audi will be the better car. For that money you cant get a 430 so that leaves the 360 from the Ferrari end which is very twitchy, less reliable, more costly to run and again not as gooder car. Porsche offer the Carrera 4s, again not as fast, more common, not as nice inside. The Gt3 will mostly appeal to different people my guess is, having said that I would consider both. The Turbo is possibly more the same customer is faster, more expensive and I bet not as fun.

Id have the Gt3 or the R8...

Sat in an R8 for the first time today. A few thoughts:

-Daytona Grey is a great colour but with the light grey sideblade it did make the car look very short - too much to my eye, indeed add another 150mm and use the space behind the front seats to create kiddie seats;

-Its a very wide and very very low car and looks good for both;

-The engine bay is certainly not challenged by a V8; and

-I found the interior to be a disappointment. There is a huge number of parts shared with my TTR2 for my mind - seats (which are excellent FWIW), wheel, stalks, cup holders, even the bonnet release - and then loads of bits from other Audis'. Shame - after the outside I would have hoped that the interior was more special.

Overall, sure its going to be a big hit but like Dave I suspect that the halo period will not take us much through next year.

I'm pretty sure the seats are straight from the TT which for me is great as I like the TT seats. Coming from a CSL, you will find they offer no support at all! tongue.gif

Its interesting with the R8, Audi have got it exactly the opposite way round to usual - ie the R8 looks great outside, apparently drives brilliantly but inside its a bit of a let down. Now reverse that for the S5. grin.gif

I too sat in one at the weekend, some may say the interior is a bit bland but I could not critise it. Exterior wise black seemed a little underwhelming and it has confirmed my thoughts that it looks most striking in a light color with contrasting sideblades.

[ QUOTE ]

In the meantime I can safely say the R8 is one of the best surprises of my motoring life. It is one of the truly great cars and the only hesitation I have in giving it five stars is that, ideally, I’d like to give it six.

[/ QUOTE ]

High praise indeed. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

In the meantime I can safely say the R8 is one of the best surprises of my motoring life. It is one of the truly great cars and the only hesitation I have in giving it five stars is that, ideally, I’d like to give it six.

[/ QUOTE ]

High praise indeed. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....from good old pube head.... jump.gif