Irregular heartbeat

RobK

If that is the case, then you should go and have an ECG to have it checked out. It maybe something entirely different as it can be quite difficult to take your own pulse accurately.

Many people live very ordinary lives with an irregular heart beats and have no ill effects. Others require medication, or even surgery (such as pacemakers) to keep them going.

My advice : get it checked out 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for the advice folks.

[ QUOTE ]

Caffeine can make it irregular too, so if you drink a lot of coffee maybe cut down for a bit to see if that helps?

[/ QUOTE ]

I drink about 4 cups a day but it's only vending machine stuff. Come to think of it though, it seems to have been worst when I have a can of diet coke with lunch. Maybe I'll try leaving it out and seeing if I still get the symptoms.

I have had that condition and it was associated with an ulcer/gastritis caused by Helicobacter Pylori. A bacteria that lives in the gut and is a cause of ulcers and gastritis.

It is interesting someone mentioned coffee becuase that was the key to solving this problem. The condition is also aggravated by coffee because it aggravated the lining of the oesophagus (did I spell that right ?). It's quite distressing and was with me for several years.

The treatment that worked for me was :

1. Get the doc to test for Helicobacter Pylori - he may ask for an endoscopy - but it is likely he will prescribe antibiotics.

2. Stop drinking coffee for at least several months - I stopped forever.

3. Avoid lager/beer until you get better. Avoid fizzy or acidic drinks (G&T for instance)

4. Avoid fatty foods, pastry, curries for a few months. Bland is best whilst your stomach recovers.

PM me for further details if I can help...

Good luck....

• 5 months later...

I'm still getting this so I think I'll have to go see the doc. I haven't had any diet coke and hardly any beer for a few months either.

BTW would I be able to get any tests etc on my private health cover? I've had it for about six years and never claimed so I want to get something out of them!