14 year old with high bp and high hr??

Bounce

Hello all,

My daughter went to the gym tonight, it was like a session for teens she is 14, while she was there she phoned me to say the instructor says he wants to speak with me because she has a high heart rate and also high blood pressure, i don't really know anything about this kind of thing, he said he had noticed abit earlier that her heart rate seemed high, but when he checked her again it had shot upto 190bpm, so he stopped her and took her blood pressure which he said was 156/73 he said that was high for her age, he said he wouldn't be happy with her to keep going unless she has seen the doctor, which is fine with me, we were told after she had a heart scan when she was 4 that she has a mumur, but they also said it wasn't a problem, shes not overweight or anything.

i'm just not really sure whether those figures are really high or is he just being careful?

if theres anyone in the know woh could give me an opion on this i'd be grateful. 169144-ok.gif

Hi Bounce- was her pulse and bp taken immediately after alot of cardiovascular exercise? Is she out of breath or does she feel faint?

Resting bp and pulse would be a better guide, but some people do get nervous when they have their bp taken,and hence they appear higher than normal.

To be safe, get your gp to check. 190bpm resting is not right, and i would only expect that rate after severe exercise.

Hope this helps.

F-P

she had been on a running machine, but she tells me she wasn't killing her self and hadn't been on it long, the chap also said it shot up rather than how he says it would normally rise, not being there myself its hard tell how hard she was working but my daughter said the instructor was watching her, he said this was because he saw it was already high, so i guess he though it was high considering how hard she was working, i'm pretty sure she wouldn't of been working that hard or for very long.

she also said she feels fine, not out of breath or anything.

i have had mine up to 199 for a couple of minutes and it can shoot up within seconds. Simply someone mentally prepping for an activity can raise a HR up to the level needed for the activity, even before they start.

I would be more worried about the high BP as its not something i know much about... a checkup is always a good thing.

A systolic BP of 156 immediately after exercise shouldn't concern you too much. She needs to get it checked formally while at rest.

As for her heart rate, depends on how hard she is exercising really. Simple rule is 220-age. My HR often hits 190-ish when cycling up hills.

b0b