1994 Passat Tdi power problems

Coppo61

Well, as it's a 1994 (I missed this first time I looked) first up is to check the rubber hose that connects to the MAP sensor. The MAP is inside the ECU (which is under the plastic cover at the base of the windscreen) and there's a long rubber hose which connects to the inlet manifold. Replace it.

It'll cost a couple of quid at the most, and don't even bother investigating it. Just change it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Following your post with interest as my daughter has the same car I think which has been very reliable, done 200k, 50k of that with a chip and still with original clutch.

Is yours the first of the new model that became available in approx July 1994 with rear drum brakes? Ours is a GL Estate has had the usual window winder wires fatigue in the doors when opening which are easy to replace. These also knock out the electric sunroof also. ( VW said it needed a new sunroof motor!)

I recently posted a problem with dashboard lights failing/dip-full beam switch reversing itself and rev counter failing. Fitted a new switch module which didn't cure it. It turned out to be a loose multiplug into the back of the instrument binnacle. You can imagine how many parts VW would have replaced!

Please keep us posted when you find a cure to your problem and the parts/cost, it's what Tyresmoke is all about.

• 3 weeks later...