Worrying flaws in Mclaren's punishment

sexellent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6995240.stm

What is concerning is that no team really benefits much from this. Yes, they are hit with a serious fine, but the maximum benefit for others is that McLaren's development has taken a financial knock. But the punishment itself is questionable. Consider:

-No punishment set for Alonso/De La Rosa for their admitted knowledge of Ferrari data to the team and their interaction with this data

-The team is allowed to continue using this year's car, despite this data having an inevitable effect on it to some degree, however small

-None of the monetary fine is being redistributed to the other teams, but instead to Ecclestone and his FIA body

-None of the points are redistributed to other teams, though this method is questionable

Does anyone remember the days when Bernie would dig from his own pocket to rescue a grand prix team? Those days seem long ago.

Good points all of them. All the Ferrari haters seem to be livid that 'Ferrari have won' and 'had it been the other way round.......' but as you say, Mclaren have only really lost out financially.

Ferrari have had the constructors title handed to them on a plate, but I'm sure they'd rather win it under there own merit than by default.

Although, if nothing had had come of the investigation and Mclaren had still won the constructors title, that's surely a Ferrari car winning anyway, no? yelrotflmao.gif

Agreed, good points.

The only additional flaw I'd add is this:

I bet Todt gets a pass for effing up Ferrari this year (poorly maintained wind tunnel, poorly prep'd for how many outings?, keeping and further alienating someone uphappy in-house, losing Monza, etc.).

Will Ferrari boot Todt for Brawn? They've got some noodling to do in Marenello...well, cheaper noodling now-a-days...

Tout la plus á me detester les Français.