Question on ventilation - possible problem

alantong

Hi Guys,

I think I might have one or two different problems with the heating / air-con on my 2003 D3.

The first problem is that I think (regardless of settings on the dash or MMI) the car is always on re-circulate. Certainly the air seems to get stale and I need to open the window now and again. Any ideas what I can check?

The second issue is that there seems to be no air coming out of the vents for the rear seat passengers. I dont have the optional rear air con so there are no controls other than the open / close on the vents (and the heated seat controls). Not sure if this is related to the above problem or something else - is the amount of air coming out of the rear vents controlled by the driver and passenger fans at the front?

Thx

Alan

PS How do I check which version of MMI software I have?

Alan

If you are saying it always re-circulate even why you take it off automatic it suggests a stuck flap and not a sensor. I know if you put it onto front screen demist it turns re-circulate off. If it still does not take in fresh air in this mode it must be stuck.

I would remove the pollen filter and you should be able to see two air intake flaps. They should both be open with the engine off, then try some different settings and see if they move. If might just need a bit of lube!

I believe the rear vents work from the same fan as the front. Therefore if the fronts work so should the back. I suppose there could be a problem in the pipe between the front and rear.

Philip

[ QUOTE ]

The second issue is that there seems to be no air coming out of the vents for the rear seat passengers

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is the problem but you can control the airflow of the rear vents through the MMI. I can't remember exactly where it is but I think if you press 'Set up' on the heating controls you can access this menu from there.

Alan

Under the bonnet at the rear of the car is a pop out section with 4 plastic screws holding it in (see red arrow on the attached picture.

Also you can remove the whole of the plastic section at the back, just remove the rubber seal holding it all together (see blue arrow on attached picture) and it lifts out so you should be able to get pretty good access to all of that sort of area.

I think you will be impressed by the quality of my photography!

Philip

post-16498-137914412738_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The second issue is that there seems to be no air coming out of the vents for the rear seat passengers

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is the problem but you can control the airflow of the rear vents through the MMI. I can't remember exactly where it is but I think if you press 'Set up' on the heating controls you can access this menu from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can seem to find anything via the MMI for the rear ventilation, probably because I am a total muppet. Will need to RTFM.

Thanks

Alan

[ QUOTE ]

Alan

Under the bonnet at the rear of the car is a pop out section with 4 plastic screws holding it in (see red arrow on the attached picture.

Also you can remove the whole of the plastic section at the back, just remove the rubber seal holding it all together (see blue arrow on attached picture) and it lifts out so you should be able to get pretty good access to all of that sort of area.

I think you will be impressed by the quality of my photography!

Philip

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for photo - suspect it was captured on a 20M pixed digital SLR cool.gif

I will have a look over the weekend. Thx again for the help

Alan