polo mirrors...

CactusGreen

Some arse broke the drivers one on a friends polo...and about 6 other cars in the line....well the metal part inside is now in two parts.....glass and electrics still OK, and the cover clipped back on!!! So how do I get the unit off the car to see if it can be fixed in any way???

What year Polo is it?

I'd imagine you'll need to remove the door card to gain access to the necessary fixings to get the tweeter cover off then you should be able to remove the mirror. I think...

Cheers

It's a 2000 X. Not mine, and have yet to take a look, but was hoping it might be a simple inner cover off to expose some fixing screws....VW sounds as bad as Audi....disassemble a door for a mirror....over engineered to the max....but we still love them :-)

Anyone confirm, or got access to ELSAwin or similar for pics.....

Been suggested that you can sometimes do a repair on these, depending on what got broken....sounds to me like it's a new one but until I can take a look and get the thing off the car......

Anyone changed one who can tell me if the door cards do need to come off to get at the fixing screws/bolts?

Mine is a 2000 W so the same generation of Polo. I actually have a new "stubby" driver's wing mirror to paint and fit to mine so if you are after a replacement mirror as a whole, I could sell you my outgoing mirror? Depends which side you need!! And its pearlescent metallic black so of course it may not match your friend's car colour...

Anyway.

If you need to remove the door card, simply pop the interior door handle cover off (the plastic insert in the centre of the grab handle) and there are two screws to undo and remove. Then with the door open, look at the front of the door card where it meets the dashboard and there is a final third screw to remove before you can take the door card of and access the internals.

I seem to have it in my head that the door card needs to come off to remove the tweeter cover then gain access to the wing mirror fixings but will do my best to confirm this.

Can provide some pictures to accompany the above description if you want :)

Cheers