TSN News - First pictures of new Lotus Eagle

News_Stig

Interesting that they went with a Toyota engine rather than a VAG unit. I wouldn't think that'd go down well in the VW corridors and committee meetings.

What has that got to do with Lotus... ? They are currently owned by Proton and use a Toyota engine in the Elise as a replacement for the previous Rover K series motor.

Am I missing something. :confused:

What has that got to do with Lotus... ? They are currently owned by Proton and use a Toyota engine in the Elise as a replacement for the previous Rover K series motor.

Am I missing something. :confused:

Who owns Proton?

Edit: Hmm, having checked, it looks like the deal with VW buying Proton may have collapsed and not happened. Bash on with the Toyota engine lads.

Edited by Rustynuts

What a bag of ****e! No offence but thats my view on this Lotus.....

Deffo no rival for a GT-R.

Riz :eek:

I possibly wouldn't go that far but IMHO it doesn't inspire great confidence. While the one pic on here looks a bit better, it looks pretty manky on the Autocar ones - iffy proportions & details.

There's just too much Farbio & Ascari in it but with the less appealing aspects of both. Actually, I'd say the Farbio easily looks better but given they can't seem to actually make any and don't have the badge, maybe they should combine efforts and have one good car that can actually be bought now at a good price.

The biggest thing though is the price -- £45 - £50k is a lot of readies in the current environment and there is a host of good, if slightly different, competition - GT-R, Cayman S, used 997, 335d and a weekend plaything (or possibly even M3 and a plaything if you can stick the running costs). I'm sure there are various other options as well.

Unless the handling/feel is going to be spectacular then if I were Lotus I think I'd be working out how to shave a few grand from the price.

That was pretty much my thought on the Farbio, looks good but it's the same price range as alot of good solid cars with a reputation, Porsche for example. Only for people who have money and really want something different.

For 50k you have alot of choice, it's where I am now with looking to buy end of next year. So order a GT-R, that meets delivery timescales but I'm commited and £3.5k down if the situation changes. Wait and see if something else pops up. Used 911 Turbo is appealing or a V8 vantage? Probably should start another thread...

Sorry... think I was alittle harsh.......

Some people will buy this car but it just seems odd when there is so much better branded competition out there...... and using a toyota gear box just tells me one thing..they wanted to save a few bob or could make their own?

Riz :P

• 2 weeks later...

Eagle was the name of the project the car was created under. The name Evora wasn't announced until after the first pictures were released apparently. Autocar had the same when they first showed the photos in the magazine. +++

Oh and this was written by the stig as well Bazza....

The car will be launched at the London motorshow where the name might also change, lets hope its a winner and the other models in the pipeline are just as good.

I don't know but it's something new (at least design-wise) for Lotus and from the way it looks I'd say I really like this car. The design and lines of the car is just good IMHO. But with that price, I'm not really sure, if it can catch up with the competition.

Edited by shao_khan