No response from controller/too many errors to continue

mb

Hello,

Ross-tech are looking into this but can't find me on their database at the moment + are asleep now of course ! I am having some trouble with my Hex+Can interface & VCDS 805.3

It has always worked fine but today I can't seem to get into any controllers/run a scan.

The problems started today I was using 805.2 (I think) I have tried it on 2 cars, upgraded to 805.3, unistalled/reinstalled but still no success !

The interface tests OK (CAN not found) but when trying to access a controller it takes a long time then mostly comes up with either "no response from controller" or "too many errors to continue" When I tried to access the stereo it came up as diag on the navi screen but ended up with "too many errors to continue". I also tried using it in generic OBD-II mode which gave limited info then the same error message.

When I do access a module the info seems to be part garbled compared to how I used to remember it (odd characters).

So def seems to be a comms issue, have also tried their beta software same issue.

Any suggestions appreciated !

I had the problem on 805.3 & subsequently tried the Beta (which successfully flashed the dongle firmware) but neither will communicate properly now with 2 (MkIV Golf) cars - will try a neighbours TT at the weekend to see if its all cars I am having the problem with.

The plot thickens...

Rosstech have refused to help as I am the 2nd owner of the cable so I did a "roll-back" on my laptop back to 2007 which gave me vagcom 704 so tried this.

Still can't get into the Central Convenience but was able to run a scan at least & got the following errors -

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 1J0-920-xx5-17.LBL

Part No: 1J0 920 926 J

Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V20

Coding: 05410

Shop #: WSC 00000

WVWZZZ1JZ4D017640 VWZ7Z0C8191658

2 Faults Found:

01336 - Data Bus for Comfort System

80-10 - Single-Wire Operation - Intermittent

01304 - Radio

49-00 - No Communications

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901.LBL

Part No: 6N0 909 901

Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001

Coding: 00006

Shop #: WSC 31414

2 Faults Found:

01336 - Data Bus for Comfort System

80-10 - Single-Wire Operation - Intermittent

01304 - Radio

49-00 - No Communications

Which I guess is stopping me getting into the Central Convenience ?

Any suggestions what to do next please ?

1 - Clear errors & see if get into CC

2 - update to 803

3 - any other suggestions ?

Well, reset the error codes but still no luck getting into the CC Module but everything still everything else scanned OK.

Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes & success can now get into the CC Module too !

Will test it on another Golf that had the same issues tomorrow then try version 805 & report back.

I know this is a bit of a one-man thread but hopefully this may help others at some point

The plot thickens...

Rosstech have refused to help as I am the 2nd owner of the cable so I did a "roll-back" on my laptop back to 2007 which gave me vagcom 704 so tried this.

That's annoying. Ross-Tech have refused to help me before (and I wasn't the second owner of the cable) which really made me lose confidence, the product is great but so far I haven't had a good experience of the support :(

Going back to your car.. it sounds like you have a broken CAN wire somewhere. Finding that will be a nightmare and I guess it may be best to employ an auto electrician to do it as they'll be much better at reading the schematics.

Yes, was disappointed as have always recommended people buy from Rosstech rather than use the shareware version & was totally refused support not even offered to buy a licence etc.

Back to the car, cleared the error so will see how things go I think its only the instruments that use CAN so maybe not impossible to trace but agree sounds like a job for an auto-electrician with a good sense of humour... Radio should not communicate as is a navi unit but car originally had DD CANbus stereo !

Its been OK for a few years but could be worth a look as has to be the favourite I guess if the error comes back...

Its a VW MFD but had to pick up ignition from key, speed sensor from dash & illumination from the light switch as original feed was Can-bus into a Double Din VW Delta Stereo (ie had to convert from quadlock to ISO plugs if that makes sense ?

I later connected the CDC up (needed to cross wire an adaptor up), phone & also the K-Line to see if would make diagnostics work but no joy...

Am pretty sure Can H/L aren't connected anymore but if you have any suggestions can easily take out & have a look might disconnect the K-Line as doesn't seem to do much ?

Not seen an MFD up close but as they're meant to display nav instructions and radio info in the dash display (with a compatible dash) then I'm sure there's meant to be comfort CAN to the MFD although I could be wrong.. you probably know more about that than me.

Are you sure the K-Line is connected to the right place?

Thanks for thinking about this for me !

It has a 26 pin connector that carries Gala signal, Reverse & Can -/Can + to the dash but as I only have the 1/2 height dash display I only have Gala & reverse wired in there.

The K line I took out of the black ISO connector to Pin 7 of the OBD connector in an attempt to get vag-com to talk to the MFD but I think it just removed a nav no comms error or something (didn't really do much)

Does that make sense ?

Sorry took a while had forgotten how tricky it was to take it all apart ! Yes that's correct none of the CAN wires are connected. To summarise as its very confusing

MFD has 26 pin connector with pins for Can +/Can- these could be connected to a TMC module but as I don't have this so only feeds into the 26 pin connector are Gala (from the instruments) & S Contact from the ignition (took a while to find the correct wire that cuts when key is removed rather than ignition live).

There are only 3 wires (+ speakers) taken from the original quadlock these are ground, positive & safe. There is a Can +/- (not wired in on my adaptor) that could feed different pins of a TMC module if I had one/added the wires.

Hope this makes sense !

That makes sense, didn't realise they were the type that needed the TMC module.

Annnyway.. it sounds like I may have gone off on a tangent, as if they are disconnected then it won't be that.

It sounds like a simple broken wire on the CAN but finding it is going to be a nightmare :(

Thanks, was originally going to go for TMC + a cluster upgrade but decided was too much work/expense for the luxury of seeing nav commands in the DIS display.

Will see if the error shows up again before I worry too much about it I haven't broken into the CAN system so don't even know where to start looking...