High pitched screaming noise

AdeC

Suffering from a VERY annoying high pitched screaming noise at the moment. When I start the car all is fine, once the engine is warmed up and say I have been driving for aroudn 10 minutes the screaming noise appears. It only occurs when I have my foot OFF the accelerator. Thsi noise is unreal, when I pull up at traffic lights it sure attracts attention, you see everyone looking aroudn wondering what the hell it is...well its my audi a4 folks, screaming its head off.

Thought it was the power steering pump, so that has been replaced but no change ( beside my car is now easier to do a 3 point turn ).

Any ideas ? Anyone suffered from a sever screaming noise on theri A4 1.8t 2004 before?

ALSO, now N then my red battery light flickers on and off when I accelerate, not constant but now and then.

Help

Two more possibilitites:

1) a failing water pump. Happened to me in the Passat.

2) a failing accessory belt tensioner pulley bearing. Happened to me in the A4.

Both had similar noises.

• 1 year later...
Two more possibilitites:

1) a failing water pump. Happened to me in the Passat.

2) a failing accessory belt tensioner pulley bearing. Happened to me in the A4.

Both had similar noises.

It makes noise when the accessory belt is slipping and rubbing against the accessory belt tensioner or pulley. If the belt has been replaced and there is still noise then that is when you look at the accessory belt tensioner or pulley. It could also be the accessory belt tensioner pulley bearing but I am leaning towards the tensioner or pulley.