S8 Gasket replacment

sgtstrev

1998 S8

Hi has anyone replaced the secondary sump gasket at the bottom of the engine ?

Got a bit of a heavy oil leak to the front and right side of the engine

doesnt look like the oil cooler or the oil pump drive seal

Have already replased the sump gasket about a month ago but to no avail

definantly not coming from the head gasket or cam cover as they are all dry

my best guess is either this secondary sump gasket which is held in by allen key bolts all the way round the bottom of the engine or the plate behind the oil pump drive pully held in by counter sunk torx screws

Any ideas would be appreciated +++

DOh !!!. okay was hoping to be able to drop it without going there never mind front gasket number 18 is on back order anyway looks like i will have to make my own one.

I thought i might have been the only one with a leak in this area but it looks like the dude in audi pages has done his one . Noticed in the pictures of the oil cooler removal instructions (last photo) that his had sealent all around the joint of the secondary sump not alone then.....

To replace 8 is simple but does need the subframe dropping (obviously careful as the engine and 'box are supported fully by the subframe!) but 18 is the timing case seal. This needs all front off, crank main pulley removal and is quite big job. I have never had to replace one of these unless doing a rebuild anyway. Unlikely to be leaking from 18. Be sure the leak isn't leading you astray, oil can track in some funny directions! Most common leaks on the '8 V8 are cam cover gaskets (caused by blocked breather system) and lower sump gasket.

Cam cover leaks can run very thinly down the front and sides of the block and build up around the sump making it look as though it's fresh from that area!

Hi many thanks for the advice attacking it tommorow will let you know .

replaced the cam cover gaskets about six months ago

will do the secondary sump gasket first hopefully that will cure it

Just did not want to go back in there later to find that the front flange gasket was actually leaking too

has anybody got some good pics of the breather hose system and what pipes to clean etc