Extended warranty options

paul130TDI

Hi Guys,

My car is fast approaching the 3 yr old mark and im now faced with the dilemma of whether to extend the warranty or take my chances.

As we all know its all about risk and it is what it is - an insurance policy, I was really wondering if anyone has taken out or had any experience of how good the extended warranties are.

My options are a franchise policy cover through warranty direct for £360, one provided by my local dealer which is through Lumley auto for £400 or yesterday I contacted VW who are offering one capped at 15K miles for £440.

My immediate preference is for the VW one, although im waiting to receive an info pack on the details of it, all they said was it provides the same level of cover as I currently have – although doubt it covers everything.

To date I’ve had little trouble from the car and with only 29K miles I hope that continues but sort of look at it as being a years cover for approx 5 hrs labour should anything go wrong.

Cheers

Paul

The VW all component warranty is pretty good and does cover most things including sound system etc. It's also got 1yrs VW assist as well so take hat into account when deciding.

I took it out for my R32 last year mainly because I do 20k miles a year and I'm nervous about DSG and Haldex should anything go wrong.

I've also heard that the Tesco Finest warranty is good value for money

It's down to personal choice and your take on risk.

Hi Paul,

My GTI was 3 years old back last April and I can feel your pain deciding what to do. I really was in a quandary about it.

In the end I decided to go for the £440 VW offering. This was largely because I did have to have a few things repaired under warranty in the first 3 years so I was concerned other things could go wrong. During my 3 year warranty I had to have:-

1) a new air conditioning compressor;

2) new brake light for my rear spoiler (big body shop job as they have to rip the old one off, spray paint a new one and glue it back on);

3) repair to eliminate grinding sound when turning on hard lock, eg in a car park;

4) replace fuel pressure sender which I had no idea had a fault but was identified by the dealer in a service.

Given this catalogue of issues, some which would have been very expensive, I decided it would be safer to go for an extended warranty.

However, touch wood, I have had trouble-free motoring since then.

It really is a gamble and I certainly felt "whatever I do will be wrong"!

I haven't got the paperwork to hand at the moment but if you had any queries before yours turns up then I'm sure I could dig it out. Of course, the cover may have changed slightly in the past year.

As Shadowman says: It really is a gamble. I'm very friendly with the Service Manager at my VW dealer and he advised me that it wasn't really worth it when you consider the exclusions in small print. After the first extended year the list of exclusions racks up.

Btw, my dealer has only seen one complete DSG failure: A Mk5 GTI which did 176,000 miles (many in town) in 3 years. As time goes on the replacement costs get cheaper.

+++

Cheers for the replies guys,

Yeah the small print is what im keen to see in the VW option, to be honest i really dont feel the one (lumley auto) offered by my dealer is worth it to me anyway. They only cover mechanical failures and don't cover oil or fluid leaks, i enquired about say for example a seal in the turbo (which is what happened on a previous A3 and cost me £1800) and the answer was 'its a grey area as it hasn't failed working' which is an argument i really wouldn't want to get into where the small print gives them a get out - like most insurances. It even lists electrical circuits in the exclusions, so there goes the ECU and practically anything electrical. In fact after i read the exclusions my main question was well what is covered.

As you all say, it really is a gamble and no matter what i decide to do it most likely will be the wrong choice. Im tending towards taking cover of some sort as i do mainly short runs where most of the time, the oil is just about reaching temp when i arrive - increased wear on the turbo etc.

Cheers

Paul