Considering a dust up with dealer, your thoughts please???

deanogtv

Guys

Thought I'd get your veiws before having it out with the dealer.

I purchased a 2002 A6 Avant from a second hand dealer two weeks ago to which I have a three month warranty for. I have to say I paid a little over the top as its a seven seater model and there isnt many around. Having driven the car for a couple of days its become clear neither the oil or coolant temp gauges work. Phoned the dealer and they are happy to sort this, not a problem, the car is going in at the end of the week. However at the weekend I put a punchure on the front drivers side, on closer inspection I notice the inside of the trye is completely bald to the piont the metal thread is showing in places. Now what worries me is the car was sold to me with a 'new MOT'. I'm guessing this would never have past an MOT if noticed. I have also checked the other front trye and again thats near its limit also. There are other small problems like central locking not working, drivers side speaker not working, issue with rear elec window closing. Would I be wrong to ask the dealer to rectify all of these issues under the warranty???

Granted a ten year old car is going to show some signs of wear but I feel a bit hard done by as I was not told about any of these issues when i laid down the money for the car.

Your thoughts would help................

Cheers

DC

I fully expect any MOT that comes from a dealer to be slightly suspect due to the nature that they will invariably know 'someone' who can 'get it through'

I also imagine that tyres will come under 'wear and tear' and therefore won't be covered. If they are down to the metal why didn't you spot this?

You should have checked the other things, to a point obviously, but there you go; the perils of buying a car.

Should you ask the dealer to fix them all?? Yes...

Will the dealer fix them all?? Probably not...

If the dealer doesn't sort the tyres, then you can threaten them AND the MOT place with Trading Standards.

However, wait until he has sorted the engine and oil temp (ie, the thermostat). That would cost you £700.

Once satisfied, then tell him about the tyres and that you and your family have been driving around in it, and as such you expect similar quality replacements. nothing fancy, just 2 decent spec and quality tyres fitted and balanced. You will also need to get the alignment done. Mine was out when I bought it and that fecks your tyres quicker than Suarez can change his mind on shaking your hand.

Central Locking - might just need plugging in to VAG-Com?

Speaker? you might be able to replace that yourself?

After that, you don't need to see him again. +++

If the dealer doesn't sort the tyres, then you can threaten them AND the MOT place

That's a classic dealer scam: car comes in with good tyres, gets MOT, dealer sells car and sticks shitty tyres on the car. Very hard to prove unless you had checked there and then, he'll just say you spun them away.

For anything covered by the warranty, the dealer won't care as the tab is picked up by the insurance co. For all those niggly problems you get with used cars, no chance of repair.