polo issues.. again

charley2402

Im gonna apologise now as i know absolutly nothing about cars but the past couple of times ive posted on here its been a great help! so here goes...

i have a vw polo, x reg (2000) its a 1.4 16v, the other day i went to start the car and it just made a grinding kind of noise and wouldnt fire up.. this happened about 6 times till it actually properly started.. then my engine manangement light came on.. again.. but last time it was my coil pack and has since been replaced and the car was running fine until the other day.. the car got plugged into a computer and i got the code P0441 and i was wondering if anyone could actually tell me what this means.. if anyone could it would be a great help! 

i should also probably mention the car a day or two before had a burst rubber pipe under the engine cover that got replaced asap.. incase that helps at all.. haha

anyway ill be grateful of any help i can get! thanks.

That fault code is the EVAP Emission Control System

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16825/P0441/001089

Have a look around the charcoal canister in the engine bay and check that all the pipes are OK. The charcoal filter may need replaced. I've heard of this fault happening if you overfill the petrol tank.

When the car wouldn't fire it would have dumped a fair bit of unburnt fuel down the exhaust amd it's possible the Lambda probe has flagged an error and put on the light to protect the catalyst.

Clear the fault codes and the lught and see if it comes back

Edited by Cuprabob

well ive cleared the code anyway since i know what code it is now, i just dont like that light staring at me when im driving because i actually think im going to breakdown right in the middle of the road, so ive cleared that anyway!

riight well im not gonna lie, this means nothing at all to me, but this sounds expensive.. which is never a good thing, but i shall take it upto my friend who knows a fair bit about cars and see if he knows what that all means! but it doesnt actually sound as serious as i thought, someone suggested my started motor? but like i said, i have absolutly no idea.