Battery Problems

hollymay

I've got a 2005 A8 3.0L Diesel....and because I've only been doing relatively short journeys recently on top of the cold weather I had to call out Green Flag the other day when it wouldn't start.

They successfully jump started the car.....and then tested it and came up as a 'pass' but only at 53%.

Although I've been out a few times since it still seems a bit iffy, particularly first thing and I don't fancy the prospect of being out at work this week and it happening again.....so I went down to Halfords today to ask them to test it again and then hopefully recommend a new one.

The guy put it on his tester and it kept coming up with an error sign.....and he said that it was indicating that something was 'taking something out of the battery' despite everything being turned off with the door locked.

There are no interior lights on and there's nothing else I can think of that would cause such a problem.

Any one got any ideas as to what could be causing the problem....??

Hi Hollymay!

Welcome to TSN.

If you have a look through other posts about A8 power managerment/battery issues, you'll see that this is a common issue.

If you think something is draining the battery, it could well be the radio. 

Although the car should turn it off, sometimes it seems to draw current when off.

Do you get the Battery warning light when you start the car?  I do, as my car thinks the battery is down to 10%.  It isn't, and is at 100%.  I keep fiddling and trying to tell it this with the diagnostics tool, but it doesn't always take it.

So, if you do change the battery, make sure you get an Exide/Lion/Banner, as your car can be told about this with a tool called VAG-Com.  GSF or Eurocarparts will have the batteries you need.

Your car servicing bod should have the VAG-Com and should be able to program the car for it.

Hope that helps and although confusing, it is a common issue, but hoepfully a new battery will resolve it for you. 

The important bit, is that the car is told it has a replacement battery!