Monarch (financial trouble bewing?)

Andy_Bangle

Hadn't seen that one but saw another one about United Airlines moving planes and also showing flight departures from the same location and time as scheduled Monarch flights.

I can't see them surviving to be honest. When it gets to this stage, airlines and travel companies rarely do as it is all about confidence.

Who would book with them now? Without cash from bookings now for the future, they can't survive.

I have instructed the wife to look for other agents that offer the same hotel and see if we can rebook the same rooms with someone else as soon as the inevitable happens to Monarch and we know we are getting our money back.

Monarch have been on the brink for a while but had a bit of a turnaround I thought. 

We have used them a fair bit and they have always been on time and the service as you would expect for a short haul flight and certainly better than some I've traveled with. One thing is for certain speculation like this could be enough to kill them off if they don't shore things up on the PR front. 

I don't think NNMM is even being half way honest about this shower.  All in my own opinion of course and does not represent the views of anyone other than myself in a personal capacity.

Its no wonder they are in trouble - they have spend oodles on change, but had no one that really wants to change and they have achieved nothing.  They have a management team with such astounding arrogance that I'm amazed they don't vet passengers first to make sure they are of the right calibre to travel on their planes.  The engineering division is great, the actual flight side of the operation will only be missed because it will be one less flight choice to Alicante.

Huge potential wasted by a shower of ingrained travel dinosaurs who couldn't move with the times even if the times put them on a trolley and pushed them.

Anyway, I digress, I feel for the staff, not great while all other travel sectors are keeping an eye on costs.

1 hour ago, shao_khan said:

I don't think NNMM is even being half way honest about this shower.  All in my own opinion of course and does not represent the views of anyone other than myself in a personal capacity.

Its no wonder they are in trouble - they have spend oodles on change, but had no one that really wants to change and they have achieved nothing.  They have a management team with such astounding arrogance that I'm amazed they don't vet passengers first to make sure they are of the right calibre to travel on their planes.  The engineering division is great, the actual flight side of the operation will only be missed because it will be one less flight choice to Alicante.

Huge potential wasted by a shower of ingrained travel dinosaurs who couldn't move with the times even if the times put them on a trolley and pushed them.

Anyway, I digress, I feel for the staff, not great while all other travel sectors are keeping an eye on costs.

:roflmao:

I think you know of my dealings with them.  To say I found them to have an attitude that stunk and be so far up their own backsides would be an understatement.

I'm not saying more on here (I've said it in more closed circles elsewhere as you know) but it doesn't surprise me one bit.  If all their management thinks they're as high and mighty as the one I dealt with, I'm not surprised they're close to collapse. 

Telling others how to run their businesses is quite ironic in light of this news, isn't it? :roflmao:

1 hour ago, Cuprabob said:

That's rather misleading Bob. It's only been renewed for 12 days but hopefully, with the extra funding Monarch have apparently found, they'll get a long stay of execution next time.

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/CAA-statement-on-the-extension-of-Monarch-ATOL-licences-(30-September-2016)/

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Either Greybull Capital have no access to the necessary funds or they have put Monarch up for sale.

If they had the capital to put in and ultimately, wanted to, they would have done it. This business needs the public to have confidence in them in order for them to book. 

We are paying £2800 per family for the week. I wouldn't spend that with them now! 

• 1 year later...

Here we go again, Monarch have effectively stopped selling tickets and may be out of business by the morning. 

Easyjet are bidding on the business already  

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/monarch-stops-selling-flights-midnight-deadline-looms-civil-aviation-authority-a7976336.html

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Groundhog Day for me again. Four families all off to Lanzarote again for half term on 14th October. This year we don't have ATOL protection as we have booked flights only as we are hiring a villa for all of us. 

Calling travel insurance company in the morning to see what the situation is. 

Bloody Monarch!!!