cooling system....

bluelowe

Hi,

Have 20o0 2.0 GTi Golf, (mk4)

only 49k, driving home on sat nigth, got three beeps, temp light flashing and computer elling me to stop immediately and check coolant level

level is fine, no leaks, but its overheating within 10 mins of starting up.

if I'm sitting in traffic ticking over it cools, a soon a sI pull off it overheats !!

no discolouing of oil so sure its not to do with head gasket etc...

any body come accross this, or have any ideas??

blockage, air lock in system??

VW want £125 just to diagnose, and dont really have it as only just bought car!!!

any help would be appreciated

thanks for the welcome!!

The fans are kicking in yes, and I was told by a friend to try a few things including running the heaters full pelt on hot, and all I get is cold air

hope this makes it easier to diagnose!!

any help greatly appreciated

Yep, Sound like your water pump has gone! the plastic vanes crack and on tick over it can keep the engine cool but as soon as the rev get up they cant cope! Also due to poor circulation the heater goes cold on full fan but you get faint heat out on a low setting!

Oh OK

its just that I hit a speed bump a bit hard about 20 mins before it happened so was wonderin

interesting though, cause I havnt had the car long and am in central London so mainly short journeys.

and if not its a motorway blast to the Midlands.

so seems to fit!!

u any idea of costin of water pumps?

Is it necassary to do Cam belt and Tensioners at same ime as water pump ??

cant imagine him wanting to do it as hes repairing it under warranty for me and his costs will go up !!

the guy didnt beleive me about the waterpump after i mentioned your post last wek, now hes discovered it is the pump and thinks hes a genius!!