Buying a GTi anyone who shouldn't?

leonardo

I'm thinking of buying a new GTi, test driven the car (manual and DSG) and the manual version is awesome. I just wanted to know whether anyone has ordered one even though financially it's quite a big burden on them! My current car is a renault clio, which was worth £3k and now I want to upgrade to £20k!! I think I can afford payments on the finance quotes I worked out at the dealerships.

Anyone just wanted to know how many people were in the same boat.

I got them down to 4.99%. I know it's a personal decision about finance, I just wanted to know are there many younger GTi owners or soon to be ownders? I really love the GTi but the Type-R is £5k less. Anyone have any thoughts on the Type-R?

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone have any thoughts on the Type-R?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all the same type of car. Go take a look at one and a drive in one and see what you think, it might be for you, it might not, depends what your priorities are. As for your other questions about being able to afford it or not, that's really up to your finances and not knowing them i'm not sure how people could really comment.

leonardo, if finance is a worry then you would be better going for a PCP which will give a guaranteed value at the end of the 2-3 yrs. Alright so you never "own" the car, it's more of a lease but so what, if you borrow the money it's never really yours anyway. Let someone esle take the depreciation risk as, though the GTI looks bulletproof now, it won't in 3 yrs time even with the supply allegedly restricted to 5000 pa. I know what it's like to really want something and get carried away.

If you're considering the Type R then it's obviously just a fast new car bug that's bitten rather than an overwhelming desire for a GTI so you may be better considering used cars.

Good luck fella, and have fun choosing i.e. lots of test drives 169144-ok.gif

Hi Leonardo,

I think I know what you are getting at, I am young also and when I put the deposit down for mine I asked myself should I be doing this, 24k (in my case) is a hell of allot of money especailly since my last car is only worth 3k too.

But like others say it all depends on ones own situation, in my case I still live at home with the parents, don't have too many outgoings and had my own personal justification of I love cars and would rather put my money into a decent mobile than squander it elsewhere.

I'd ask yourself some questions.

[ QUOTE ]

I got them down to 4.99%. I know it's a personal decision about finance, I just wanted to know are there many younger GTi owners or soon to be ownders? I really love the GTi but the Type-R is £5k less. Anyone have any thoughts on the Type-R?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Type R [and all the Civics] will be replaced late '05 - early '06 ... so you would loose loads on the that basis alone... crazy.gif

If it is a stretch with the finance now, it will drive you nuts after 18 months...when the romance has gone out of the new car.... confused.gif

take care 169144-ok.gif

Cheers for the advice lads.

I have test driven a lot of cars already, kinda my favourite daytime hobby at the moment! Out of the new cars, I love the VW GTi but I have the feeling it's come at the wrong time for me. I think to bear the depreciation when money's tight might not be wise. I agree that the type r isnt quite a great substitute.

I'm thinking maybe a Z3 2.8, second hand for around £9-10k.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking maybe a Z3 2.8, second hand for around £9-10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I can speak from experience now having had one of these (well, wifey did) in 99. Great fun and easy to get sideways but hood very thin and noisy. Fantastic heater, melt a brass monkey's whatnots on an icy day. Downside that I found was that it was quite cramped with not much storage space and the footwell was very small (more so than a 3) and with my size 10s I could get one foot on all 3 pedals at once. Make sure you get a wind deflector, with it and heater on full it's possible to drive in the middle of winter with top down pengy.gif

I'm in a similar situation meself matey, But i got the missus wages to back me up if the financial **** hits the fan. The way i see it, if ya dream about it then do it....Live the dream cos ya never know until you try. In the long run it might be worth it.... you might keep the car for years to come. You might never get bored of it and because of the amount of aftermarket parts manufacturers of all other VW golfs out there catering for all these Veedub nuts, as and when you get bored- change something, tune something or even modify something on your beloved VW Golf!!!! beerchug.gif