What to do...............

martininwillerby

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's true that the diagnostics will record the number of times you do such a thing and at 3 times your warranty is trashed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to disagree Robin but this is absolutely not true!

[/ QUOTE ]

And how do you know Aswell.

Because my dealer said the same, and to be honest, why would he lie?

It's not like he's got anything to lose.

Maybe we should write to VW customer services and find out for sure. I for one would like the ability to LC once in a while.

This myth has been tested with several other car brands and has been found not only to be false, but that a dealer or manufacturer attempting to enforce it would be unable to do so under law without asking you to sign an undertaking before collection of your car. Don't listen to dealers, least of all salesman, they are clueless. Ring VW if you're worried that this might affect you

Hi Aswell....I'm only reporting what I believe to be true based on information from someone I happen to trust on this particular subject. I'm doing so for the intended benefit of all here but, of course, I may be entirely wrong!

No problem if we happen to disagree about something, most of us here seem to have enough respect for other member's views and best intentions.

As I say, I believe it's true but I nevertheless stand to be corrected.

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

It's not "Big Brother watching driving habits" but merely recorded data very necessary to achieve the best solutions to any diagnosed problems when servicing or checking for problems. F1 teams do this all the time.

If, and it is a question of 'IF', the actions of Launch Control (not mentioned as such in my 06 handbook but strong advice against simultaneous use of brake and throttle is!) cause a problem or damage, then surely it's sensible to take the advice.

Hey, I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun doing Santa Pod style take-offs but just trying to give a considered and balanced view. I must admit I'm just beginning to get tired of repeating the same point.

I'm with Aswall with this one. If something is enabled on a car to be used freely whether mentioned in the manual or not, how can any company stop you from doing so and complain if you have used it?

If they are saying that launch control damages the gearbox then that is their problem for supplying something not fit for the purpose. If LC damages the gearbox you wouldn't be able to use it in the first place and it would be disabled.

The only time this would likely to be questioned is if you have modified by remap to provide more power or enable LC.

Above all this I really can't see how launch control can cause any permanent damage. It's a performance car after all and so it should be built to take it. The DSG box can handle more power and torque than the GTI provides so I can't see there being any problem.

LAUNCH CONTROL:

1. Launch Control is currently not a defined feature provided by VW for the Mk5 GTI but is an exciting technique for SantaPod-style standing starts.

2. As such it is not a feature supported by VW whether for justifiable reasons or not. In fact, for reasons unknown and not fully understood by myself and I think everyone else here, VW's handbook actually goes as far as strongly advising against any simultaneous use of brake and throttle on the DSG.

3. VW cannot stop you from using this technique and if it's recorded it's only done so as a by-product of general and essential diagnostic monitoring for maintenance and servicing. Such monitoring is for everyone's benefit including us the users.

4. All that VW's agents appear to be saying is that they cannot be held responsible for upholding their warranty when their specific advice on brake&throttle is ignored.

So, with the above four points in mind I cannot accept your statements in your last post as supportable or even valid: There is no feature to be "enabled".....There is nothing to indicate it can be "used freely" but quite the contrary....Any damage, IF it occurs, is done entirely by the user's actions and expressly against the manufacturer's written advice, consequently any warranty is quite justifiably rendered null and void....VW will not be in the least interested in 'policing' your actions but only in protecting both you and them from potentially damaging actions - It's utterly irrelevant whether you or I agree with their reasons or not or whether the car is what we think "it should be built to take".

Just because you or I cannot see any problem doesn't mean there isn't a problem or strong potential for one.

The only way in my opinion to actually learn what the score actually is on this subject is, not to consult someone's sister-in-law or franchised sales agent but to ask VW Germany themselves and ideally with a written response. Any volunteers?

Is anyone please able to explain what LC has to do with the OFF paddle not working?

Hopefully you will not misinterpret the tone of my response....I'm merely discussing the subject and have respect for your views even when I disagree.

Cheers,

Robin smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Great news Martin but I would think VERY seriously before using Launch Control....It's true that the diagnostics will record the number of times you do such a thing and at 3 times your warranty is trashed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Baloney !! dung.gif

Legally, VW (or any other entity for that matter) cannot fall back on use of any system installed by them in your vehicle more than "X" times as a warranty exclusion unless it is expressly stated in the warranty conditions. - On this matter, they either allow it or they don't.

Interestingly enough the manual in AU delivered cars does not say anything about using the brake and accelerator simultaneously.

Hi FastOzi.....I agree that LEGALLY, VW may not be able to trash a warranty after using LC "x" times but clearly some of their appointed agents are claiming that they would (attempt to) do so. I also personally think it very wrong in principle for any manufacturer to impose such measures or threats.

However, only a case contested in a court of law would be likely to resolve any continued dispute and such matters are primarily and invariably fought on legal technicalities regardless of any opinions, including ours, no matter how strongly expressed. Nevertheless I can see that a warranty could remain supported in favour of us, the users, if contested and I agree it should be supported.

Indeed it is interesting that in AU the handbook says nothing about brake&accelerator use but I can only offer views based on what I have in my handbook, never having seen what's supplied on the other side of the world!

It certainly ought to be "balony" etc, but faced with the hard information I have so far seen, I still believe I am right and justified in sharing such info and expressing my opinion that a) LC may cause damage and b) VW may attempt to trash their warranty.

Again, I repeat that we need a statement from VW DE to know how our warranties would be viewed. Meanwhile it's all speculation on everyone's part and I'm not prepared to be a guinea pig by using LC lots of times....Are you?

Is there anyone out there who has used LC lots of times (c'mon, you can admit it, we know you enjoy it!) without any problems and who has had their Mk5 GTI serviced since?

Hi All.......I seem to of opened a BIG can of worms here about LC.....Iv'e just been to goooooogle and searched "DSG Launch control" and got many reviewes even some from Audi but nothing from VW.....

My piont to mention LC was that some of you had no problems with the OFF function/paddle and had LC..On the other hand those of you who had the problem like me didn't had LC....

I personally think that VW having disabled LC have caused the other problem.....

I'd rang the dealer about this but was too late for him to try thier demo out....

I shall try it later today.......and get back to you

martin

MMmmmm Not meaning to be rude but is this not all a storm in a tea cup.

I have DSG on my A3 2.0 T FSI Sportback and I can't say I have once pressed the paddle to get it back to full auto.

I might have clicked into the right gear and let it return to auto on its own once or twice, I mean is that a big deal ? I personally don't think so.

The other way as mentioned is to just move the leaver across the gate and back again. 1 second and its done.

Just think that things have been blown out of proportion just a touch. smashfreakB.gifpengy.gif

"Storm in a tea cup"? - I don't agree. There are two subjects being discussed in this thread (both without any rudeness/disrespect/flaming): One is Martin's problem actioning the OFF paddle and the other is the subject of Launch Control which may possibly but not definitely be related to Martin's problem and may or may not effect VW warranty.

Regarding the OFF paddle I think it is a "big deal" if the driver has to move the shiftstick to and fro when the system is designed to allow the ease and smoothness of continuing to use the paddles instead. When I first started to use a paddle to exit D-mode and into manual I didn't try out the OFF paddle function for several days and I found it to be a real inconvenience if the transmission waited a full 20 secs before reverting and equally inconvenient not to be able to change mode at will in either direction. The OFF paddle function solves all of that with just a finger.

Under pressure in traffic it's fantastic to be able to keep both hands on the wheel (fast roundabouts etc) and only use a finger to select transmission and gears and do so quicker than any other method. It's a feature as designed by VW and is expected behaviour....If it ain't delivered it's a "big deal" as far as I'm concerned. It's also the key to getting the most out of DSG.

Regarding Launch Control and warranty most people here are merely speculating and no-one has yet stepped up to the plate to find out officially from VW and place it beyond question.

It's an interesting debate smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding Launch Control and warranty most people here are merely speculating and no-one has yet stepped up to the plate to find out officially from VW and place it beyond question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet a tank of Optimax that even if someone did contact VW GB over this they wouldn't be able to give us a definitive answer.

Hi all.....me again.Picked up the car and had to take it to the cleaners cos the cleaner hadn't finished the job off right.at home i finished the jod off correctly only to find scratches on the drivers side door and rear door,not to forget the chips on the edge of the door and the bump strip.Got right on the phone to the stealer.....going in monday......

As for the problem it's fixed and I don't have LC so that blows me out.....

AS for the car it's ace........and it looks even better now it's had a coat of Auto glym deep shine(new out).Especially for dark coloured cars.....

martin