MkI Golf Convertible

felixthecat1

I'm thinking of getting one of these as a toy, you know, something to tinker with and get back to it's original glory. I figured now would be a good time to start looking around. I've always loved them and I understand you can get a tidy example for around the £2.5K mark, not bad for a classic VW built to the old exacting standard. Does anybody have any inside knowledge of them or any hints and tips as to what to avoid or what to go for? While we're on the subject, I've been looking around and can't find a decent dedicated forum anywhere. Any ideas or links you can point me at?

And no, this is not a mid-life crisis. sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I understand you can get a tidy example for around the £2.5K mark...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, as long as you are happy to spend the same amount or double again making it mint. My best mate at work has a late 205 GTi, a 1993k, and he insists on 'keeping it oe'. He has only had it about 18 months but has spent over 3k now on bits keeping her tidy. Note very few parts have actually failed - that is just normal running bills. He doesn't even do high mileage as he commutes on his motorbike when the weather is dry.

Was tempted to get a late MkII Golf 1.8 Driver a year ago when I realised how cheap they are and that the engine is the same block as the GTi 8v. The insurance is lower but one basic mod' releases GTi power. However, I realised I would pour all my money into it making it mint, plus modifications (alloys, replacement suspension, ICE) would errode any insurance saving.

Ian