variable vane turbo

edition30

does anyone know if the variable vane turbo is fitted to a 2001 bora tdi ALH engine (66kw) or is it unique to the PD units

the reason i ask is i have an overboost condition and all tests point to the turbo, i was wondering if the adjuster ring for the vanes may be coked up (seen it before) if it has a variable vane turbo that is?

all tests carried out by myself and master tech using vas5052........

regards

steve

extra info for the technically minded

boost pressure = 2874Mbar @ 3000rpm 100% throttle

elsawin & vas5052 state boost pressure 2250Mbar max

the whole system checks fine (vac hoses, N75, G72, Mass air sensor, leaks, linkages on turbo, vac shpere, charge pressure unit)

• 2 weeks later...

removed the turbo today and stripped it down,

YES - it is a vnt unit

YES - it was all sooted up

seperated the bearing housing (turbo) from manifold

carefully stripped the vnt control ring and vane unit, thourougly cleaned with carb cleaner and very fine wire wool, wire wheeled the manifold and bearing housing free from corrosion so that the unit will fit back snug.......carefully blew away all debris (compressed air)

rebuilt the whole show

changed the oil and filter

ran up for 1 min on idle

took for a road test

and its running a dream, no more overboost at 3000rpm in 3rd at 100% throttle, low down boost is there now as well

saved me approx £500 in parts and took about 3.5 hrs job total

smile.gif

only took a few,

with hind site i should have photo'd the whole process and made a "HOW TO"

possibly have another to do.........if so i will create a how to

as it really isnt that difficult

a couple of bolts snapped (t15 torx m4 bolts) but managed to get them out and tap the threads, searched in my toolbox for "alternative" bolts and luckily found 2

• 5 years later...
does anyone know if the variable vane turbo is fitted to a 2001 bora tdi ALH engine (66kw) or is it unique to the PD units

the reason i ask is i have an overboost condition and all tests point to the turbo, i was wondering if the adjuster ring for the vanes may be coked up (seen it before) if it has a variable vane turbo that is?

all tests carried out by myself and master tech using vas5052........

regards

steve

yes the alh engine has the vvt turbo which produce 90-110 bhp depending on actuator setting.

i had an overboost problem that the ecu should control but because the actuator was set incorrectly it could not stop the overboost and it was jacking the valves open and losing a cylinder and smoking so i replaced lifters and then the oil pump and then had the valves replaced head skimmed and back together and still had the valves jacking up!!!!aarrgh finally i spent the most of a night reading into actuators as mine was like new and the turbo was not, anyway whoever replaced it set it up wrong,saying that the money i spent has given me great mpg and the valves and guides did need attention,hope this helps,my mate is a diesel engineer and any problems you have then just let us know and i will ask him,he's in manchester and you won't find a better mechanic.