Day of Non Joy - 82 miles old - no gearbox

badgera

Well following my "It's arrived" post today was supposed to be a full day of new car joy. I've just go to that point that I can fully work the MMI and have the car loaded with CD's and all my preferences set.

The weather has been nice here today so I picked up my parents first thing to drive out into the peak district for breakfast. On the way home I was cruising up a nice smooth flowing road, 60 mph, I flicked the car into tip-tronic, pull the + lever to move it into 7th (Multi-tronic) gave a little pressure on the accelerator to ride the torque and then bang, the rev whent around to the red line and then 1-7 in the DIS all became Red squares.

I coasted into a layby, turned off, started again and still the same, no drive, lever would go into everything but "S", but no sound of anything from the gearbox.

Bugger!! dung.gif

90 minutes later Audi Assist sent an RAC van - "Nothing I can do mate". Which is what I told them.

Another hour later a recovery truck arrives and takes my car back to Peter Gilder Audi in Sheffield.

Sales guy comes out to accept the car, he steers as myself and the recovery driver push and parks it in a space. He then gets out without putting the handbrake on, just using P. Of course the gearbox is dead so the car just rolls forward into one of the used cars, scratching my 82 mile old bumper.

Welcome to Audi ownership.

I think a call to Audi UK might be in order tomorrow to make sure I get a decent car and some prompt attention.

fekr.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers guys, I'm hoping it's not a Friday Car too.

I was so excited yesterday, now, well lets says it's taken the shine off it.

Anybody got any good Audi UK contacts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that Tom Peterkin is high up in customer services - tom.peterkin at audi.co.uk

Hope you get something sorted mate, this is terrible. And I can't believe the stupidity of that sales guy smashfreakB.gif

I'd be rejecting and asking for a new car...

Update:

Audi A4 2.0TDI Avant delivered today, went straight down to the dealer as they needed my driving licence to order the parts. The gearbox control unit has gone and is a "security order" part so they need ID. I assume the have to code one with my cars identity so have to be sure about things. Trouble is that means it's 7-10 working days before the part arrives, then it's got to be fitted and the bumper sorted. Flush.gif

Spoke to Audi UK, they are going to try for an A6, but it's going to be luck of the draw.

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm an S6 - touble is I do plenty of miles, not sure the 2000cc and over milage rate will be enough to run an S6 on.

The dealer did have an S3, S8, RS4 and new TT in. Anyone of those would do. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just handed a S6 back after two days use , it averaged 22MPG so not too bad. 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Update:

Gearbox control unit arrived yesterday and was fitted, gearbox unable to maintain hydraulic pressure so seals changed. - Control until blew again blush.gif

Upshot a new gearbox is on order from the factory - not ETA given yet but got to be another 2 week wait. fekr.gif

I assume that to change the box is an engine out job?

Very sorry to hear of your troubles Andrew.

I'm sure your car will be fine after its fixed. But if my car had done 82 miles and needed a bumper respray, new gearbox and then to top it off a 3 week wait to get it repaired. I would definately reject it! blush.gif

Reject the car and when its repaired make sure your able to run around in it until your new one arrives. Then you can order AMi as a factory option next time! grin.gif