Hissing noise from engine....

Wobby

Not used car a great deal last few weeks. Have noticed a slight hesitation and maybe a drop in power. A friend borrowed car to help him move house, i am guessing he drove with the windows down. I can't hear the noise with the windows up.

Hissing is only under acceleration and continues slightly louder when you take your foot off the gas but only for a split second. The hiss starts down at 1200rpm if you floor it (i thought the turbo wouldn't be producing boost at these revs?)

With someone holding the throttle i cant really hear the noise listening in the engine bay! But it does have a bit of top end noise and the bearings a reasonably worn blush.gif

Can hear noise more if stood up near doors.

Whats peoples thoughts? Split hose? Is there anything on the control/ vacuum side that could cause this?

Any help appreciated, car is Passat 130PD with 216,000 miles.

Will check it out this week. Could be a good time to flush the intercooler. Only thing that put me off a split hose was the fact that the hissing noise started from as low as 1200rpm, i didn't think i would have any boost until 2000rpm? confused.gif

Thanks for the advice 169144-ok.gif

Mate borrowed car again today, its worse today! He darn't go on the motorway because of the lack of power.

I think i will try VAG COM see if i have any fault codes. Wont have much chance to look this week frown.gif . VW's, ppfff, 216k and you start getting problems smile.gif

I'm well happy with mine, had its problems but all have been easy to sort so far (with the help of this forum). Just been out for a drive and had VAG COM on it.

No error codes and now you can hear the hiss with the windows closed so it seems to be getting worse. It must get worse once warmed up as it goes ok now and has for first 30 mins. Then after being parked for an hour it wont pick up at all on way home (according to friend).

It got to be losing boost.

I should either get the other engine fitted or change the cambelt. It will end up a disaster if i dont frown.gif

Not managed a proper look at this yet. Sadly my mate has crsahed my transit connect today.

Anyway, i used the car and have a limp mode question. Heard lots about it but not experienced it until today (i think)

I assumed the car would hardly move in limp mode, to me its like unplugging the MAF but not as bad.

Acceleration is rubbish but it still goes above 80 mph. No hiss (turbo shut down?) and once ignition turned off and restarted its back to full speed. But now throwing alot of black smoke out of the exhaust frown.gif

Does this sound like limp mode and will it throw black smoke out with a split turbo hose? I guess it will as its over fuelling?

Had the car up on the ramps and the bottom of the 'S' pipe has a 2" split! Looks a simple fit and will get one ordered in the morning.

Anyone know what price these are? I nearly had to be stretchered out of a dealers last year when they told me how much something was!! Then i had to go back to the bank for more money smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Wayhay!! Fitted new part!! £63.00 +VAT, but they gave me a 7.5% discount (this was after they had got me off the floor and sat on a chair and taking notice after the initial price shock) smile.gif "Nearly £80 for a bit of f**king hose", was my first response. Cars like a rocket now, an RS4 tried to get past but i just blew him away smirk.gif

Top clip a bit tricky to get on, took about 15 mins once i got her on the ramps.

Next question smile.gif, while on the ramps and checking for any boost losses i noticed what i can only describe as significant vibration/ movement in a mount!

It off the gearbox and the left hand side when looking under from the front. Other mounts seem solid with no movement. On this one the plate at the bottom is vibrating alot!

Guessing its worth changing, any ideas of cost?

Hmmmm, not too sure! Looking at the gearbox from the input shaft end as in the picture it is the mounting on the left (farthest away) side.

I think 9 is the bit that moving, is it 2 part with 9 bolting through 16? Or is that mount off the top?

Going to take the offer up off PM when i get sorted 169144-ok.gif