6k to spend what to buy?

10bellys

My old man likes my s8 so much that he wants one. He currently has a 406 coupe 3.0l but it keeps going wrong. My question is which model if say 6k is on the table would people recommend. I would imagine a2.8 would feel a bit sluggish coming from the peugeot but would a 3.7 as there appears to be a lot of those for sale. I presume the gearbox issues are the same for all models. I personally think S8 but then I would!

If you shop around £6k should get you pretty much any D2 A8 you desire. The trade value of a 2002/02 last of the line S8 with about 85k is only just over £5k so you shoud be able to find one privately or from a keen dealer for £6k so work down to other models from there...

2.8 is absolutely fine for cruising around (in fact I have just bought one after two 4.2 QS's) and in FWD guise has the advantage of significantly better fuel consumption, 250Kg less weight, gearboxes which do not go pop and a few other "missing" A8 foibles such as leaking main rear seal. It does 90% of what an A8 does at about 60% of the costs.

Other than that the world is your oyster. Anything Y-plate on will need to be cheap because of the tax. Just look for the usual things - full history, been looked after, everything works.

In fact, the more I think about it the more I wouldn't spend £6k on a D2. £4k will get you a very nice example indeed and if spending £6k and not afraid of a few miles maybe look for a D3.

As to the actual model, a pre-March 2001 A8 2.8 Sport will not feel much slower than the Pug (A 2-wheel drive A8 doesn't weight much more than the same year's Passat) and be by far the cheapest model to run. At the other end of the scale £5500-£6000 should get you a nice 70k ish 4.2 QS with all the toys from 2001-2002 era. 3.7's are cheaper still because they have the costs of the 4.2 but not the performace so are a little bit pointless in most buyer's minds.

Edited by cheapa8

Regarding the tax issue on the dvla web site it mentions that post march 2001 its related to co2 but the maximum will be £210 unless it was first registered on or after 23/03/06 when it will be £400! I assumed and I think most people have that big engined cars will all be at the top rate. I think that is the situation but I welcome to be be corrected.

The 6k was a figure that the treasury (my Mum) told my dad was the max. I think that he could spend a whole lot less and put some aside for emergencies. He's in no rush so I think it will be wait until the right one turns up reasonably local (I'm in York he's in Newark). I'm steering towards a 4.2qs or S8 as I think he'll like the performance.

Regarding the tax issue on the dvla web site it mentions that post march 2001 its related to co2 but the maximum will be £210 unless it was first registered on or after 23/03/06 when it will be £400!

That is correct up until March 2009. From then any car registered after March 2001 will be based on Co2 and the 2001-2006 "limit" will be abolished.

From next March any petrol A8 registered after March 2001 will be in the top band.

However, just to confuse the issue slighly further in the first year of the changes (2009-2010) there is a slight "discount" to £300 for 2001-2006 cars.

Basically, any post March 2001 D2 A8 will cost to tax:

Tax purchased between March 2009 and February 2010: £300 per year

Tax purchased between March 2010 and February 2011: £455 per year

By comparison a pre-March 2001 example of the same car would cost £185 this year, £185 in 2009 and £200 in 2010.

I had a d2 3.7 and it was a great car. Go for the one in the best condition with the lowest mileage you can find I say with FULL service history (main dealer) shows its been maintained regardless of expense which is what you want with these cars.

Condition and maintenace is king with these cars.