A8 Road Tax Costs: Definitive List

cheapa8

Following on from the "6k A8" thread, there seems to be a considerable amount of confusion as to what the future costs of A8 road tax are going to be. As a point of reference I think they are as follows (anyone please correct me if I am wrong).

Firstly, all D2 A8's have over 255g/km of CO2 so all fall into the same bracket (the top one!) so it is the same for all versions.

The key difference is for cars registered before or after 1 March 2001. Basically, if your car is an X-reg or older you are not going to see significant increases. If it is Y-reg or newer you will.

X-Reg or older cars will not be taxed on CO2 so will be in the same bracket as any car with an engine over 1.5 litres. This means that even in 2010 an annual tax disc will be £200.

As for Y-reg or newer, up until this year only cars registered after March 2006 have been in the top bracket. The big change is that this top bracker is being applied back to any car after March 2001 for tax renewals from March 2009 with the exception of a 1st year "discount" to £300 for 2001-2006 cars in an attempt to reduce the size of the jump.

Basically this means any Y-reg on D2 A8 will cost:

This year: £210 per year

From March 2009: £300 per year

From March 2010: £455 per year

For D3's the story is much the same for those registered before March 2006. Those registered after March 2006 will already be in the high band so see little change.

Hope this is useful.

You're absolutely correct cheapa8. Well written. I suppose this means that 'X' plate high tax bracket cars will be in high demand and therefore worh more than the equivalent models a few years newer.

On the other hand, if a Y-reg car drops in value by a grand, that's four years worth of road tax increase paid for (i.e. £225 extra x 4 from 2010). I can see values dropping more than that though, as people won't think of the difference in price increase, they'll just think "I'm not paying £450 tax a year". So actually Y-reg and newer cars will become great value for money.

I'm looking forward to buying a D3 at rock bottom price in the next year or so. I don't care about the tax as it's a very small part of car running costs anyway.

It is unfair though, for the government to punish drivers who already own Y-reg onwards high emissions cars.

This is just my personal opinion. It will be interesting to see what the other TSN members views on price drops are!

Yeah.. Especially as my 1998 4.2QS gets better fuel economy than my 54 plate 2.0 astra I had previously (OK, it was the SRi 200 with a turbo the size of France on it), but still, nothing to do with reality as a less efficient car pays more tax through the fuel anyway, but they don't want to face the real world on that one :)

Would love to see more price drops on D3s, but that's because I want one and due to the credit crunch 'crap' my customers aren't spending as much which means I'm likely to keep the D2 for a bit (oh.. what a hardship.. as if!).

Edited by PsYcHe
Can't type after 9pm :)

Or alternatively you could buy a A8 d3 4.2Q now....Spend 2.7k with greenfuel getting it converted to LPG. Your harmfull emissions will be reduced by about 20%

How will the government reward me for reducing my carbon footprint by 20%.

They will give me a £20 discount of my yearly road tax.....GREAT!

Ok, im going to save a bomb on fuel...but come on....there needs to be more of an incentive.

I did read somewhere that it was possible to have your car reclassified as an 'alternative fuel' vehicle. And this would reduce the road tax down to pre budget rip off levels....ie around £200 a year. But im yet to find details on the DVLA site.

• 5 months later...
Following on from the "6k A8" thread, there seems to be a considerable amount of confusion as to what the future costs of A8 road tax are going to be. As a point of reference I think they are as follows (anyone please correct me if I am wrong).

Firstly, all D2 A8's have over 255g/km of CO2 so all fall into the same bracket (the top one!) so it is the same for all versions.

The key difference is for cars registered before or after 1 March 2001. Basically, if your car is an X-reg or older you are not going to see significant increases. If it is Y-reg or newer you will.

X-Reg or older cars will not be taxed on CO2 so will be in the same bracket as any car with an engine over 1.5 litres. This means that even in 2010 an annual tax disc will be £200.

As for Y-reg or newer, up until this year only cars registered after March 2006 have been in the top bracket. The big change is that this top bracker is being applied back to any car after March 2001 for tax renewals from March 2009 with the exception of a 1st year "discount" to £300 for 2001-2006 cars in an attempt to reduce the size of the jump.

Basically this means any Y-reg on D2 A8 will cost:

This year: £210 per year

From March 2009: £300 per year

From March 2010: £455 per year

For D3's the story is much the same for those registered before March 2006. Those registered after March 2006 will already be in the high band so see little change.

Hope this is useful.

I have a maths degree and this still doesnt make sense...I shouldve done a phd in particle physics to understand the underhand sly backdated taxing us tax payers to the hilt labour government. All I wanted is an A8 to do about 5000 miles a year. anyway UK Road Tax Prices | Vehicle Car Tax Rates | Car Tax Calculator | Vehicle Excise Duty - Parker's says that it will not be more than £245 for a 3.0 tdi by 2010....

Edited by misbah