Occupancy Sensor Pad Bypass

sutherland

My passanger seat occupance sensor pad fails and brings up the airbag warning light when the seat is empty, but works fine when someone sits in it. I've seen the various bypass boxes for (ebay item 170298075975) or circuit diagrams for BMW, but does anyone know where I can find something similar or a diagram for an A8? I'm sure it can't be any more complicated for Audi and having my airbag fire unnecessarily in the event of an accident doesn't bother my too much - doesn't take much to write off a seven year old car.

• 3 months later...

Any update on this one? My airbag light sometimes goes on due to the passengers seat sensor, and then needs to be reset via the garage. After this everything will be fine for a few months or so, until something disturbs it and the light comes back on again.

I asked the garage how much it costs to get it fixed permanenlty and its going to be over £450 to replace the sensor!

Surely there must be some (cheaper) way to disable the sensor and / or fool the car into thinking its still there and therefore keep the airbag light off?

Philip.

• 8 months later...

Did anybody work out how to do this? I guess it must be two of the wires on the small green connector under the seat? I would have thought a straight bypass of the sensor would work. What is the likely risk of this, I would have thought the worst case scenario would be the passenger bag going off without anyone in the passenger seat, and the seatbelt pretensioner firing? Does not sound like a major disaster, and got to be a cheaper option than replacing the sensor...

I would not normally even consider messing with safety related stuff, but in this case I can't see what would be the potential downside, other than deploying the passenger airbag when it would not have actually been required? The alternative does seem to be to spend £££

I will give the bypass a go, if I can figure out which of the two wires go to the sensor...