been to look at golf gti opinions pls

abz2005

hiya folks not been on here in ages, well since i sold my passat 3 years ago

anyway i currently own a 2002 zx6r which a guy wants to swap with his golf gti, its a 2001 y-reg 2.0 3 door in black a few things wrong with it but my zx6r isnt perfect either was dropped at very slow speed but still a fantastic bike

ive only just got back and i know i commited a cardinal seen by seeing it in the dark. but i got a busy week ahead it was the only chance i got.

anyway the faults he said someone dented his front wing drivers side so it has a replacement, also the passenger one has been changed, the doors make a funny noise and if i remember rightly the drivers door dropped ever so slightly when opened, has 125k on the clock with a bit of history 6 previous owners, the eml was on, the engine pulled great but made a noise as if it was running on 3 cylinders but it wasnt it was firing on all 4 and the clutch seemed to bite near the top...........wow the more i right the more im telling myself to run lol

any advice or tips

I think you probably know the answer ;)

It doesn't strike me of a car that has been properly maintained and I suspect there could be more issues with the car than what you may identify from a viewing / short run.

What is your estimate to put the issues right? Add on another £300 to fix the issue(s) you're not yet aware of too?!

Personally i'd walk away +++

Good luck whatever you decide

my mates just offered me his golf, 2000 - w-reg 3 door 1.8t. 1 previous owner mot 113k (not sure if theres history with it) done a check its come back hpi clear he said mates rates £2000 but ill try and get a hundred or 2 knocked off

he has told me some problems can you tell me if this is normal, doors drop slightly when opening and the airbag light is on

Price seems ok, slightly on the cheap side, but then it's mates rates. What about the history? Wouldn't touch it with no history though. I have a mate with a 2000 5 door 1.8T with 130k on and it's still really tight and feels great... he's spent money on it though, lots! I also had a MkIV TDI (2000W) from 98-175k and it rarely missed a beat, though...Be aware that with 113k you'll have to renew items you don't always think of... brake discs, axle bushes, clutch (@ about 150k), CV joints, alternator (perhaps), MAF (probably a few times), coolant sensor, etc... lots of things. You may change only a few, you may change them all... depends on how well it's been maintained, driven and serviced!

thanks benjie i picked it up this afternoon

couple of niggly things, temp gauage has a mind of its own but never goes over half way, could do with a couple of shocks on the back, and the dreaded door drop and if im being really really fussy the cup holders are broke lol

i think it was a good buy full history mainly vw, mot tax, 1 previous owner goes really well just on the hunt now for these parts