Caught doing 55 in 30-zone....

kenpark35

Came to this thread having looked into stuff as a result of being flashed (with a lot less excuse) last night - thansk Andrew for the link - but the medical bit also caught my eye.

Of course I understand the actions one might take in such a situation, especially if you're wondering how long it will take the ambulance to get to you in the first place.

However; just for general education (not to preach one choice of action vs. another) there are some changes afoot you should be aware of. Firstly, ambulances are prioritised and under new systems one could be with you in 7 minutes, depending on condition. Also, some crews are trained to do a lot more than just drive, so medical help could be with you (e.g. to secure an airway) a lot sooner than it takes you to get to hospital. Also, there are other new systems which mean the ambulance 'calls in' to hospital electronically so the A&E know what to expect and what's incoming and can assemble the right team. Just turning up at the front door may not be as efficient. However, of course you need to make your own judgement at the time and nobody could blame you, but it's just worth knowing what's out there now.

Secondly, hospitals are changing and the ambulances may be more aware of this. Some hospitals close together have moved all their paediatrics, for example, to one site. An ambulance will know which to go to; a parent hurtling through the door of the wrong one carrying a sick child may then face further delay while people without the right skills or kit faff about and argue about whether to try and treat or to move the child. Places that have done this will generally have gone to great lengths to inform local population, schools, etc., but just something to be aware of.

None of this may apply to you, but for anyone reading, it's just worth remembering that "drive-ins" are not always as good as an ambulance call. But every situation is different. There are more expert A&E types than me on this forum, so this is just my view. Anyway very glad she got better +++

Edited by GCab