Amazon Kindle is now available @ John Lewis

VRO6MO

John Lewis has become the only UK retailer to stock Amazon’s Kindle ebook reader. Kindle is available in two models priced £109 for the Wi-Fi only model and £149 for Wi-Fi and 3G. +++

NOTE: Kindle is only available in John Lewis branches and not through johnlewis.com.

It has a web browser on it which is ok for a quick glance at stuff. That works over WiFi or 3G. Amazon say that outside your home country the only sites you can access are Amazon or Wikipedia but I can look at anything I like when I'm abroad. The screen is fantastic for reading text, it's as good as readingof f apiece of paper but it's pretty cruddy for browsing the web, it's slow and only7 monochrome.

You can get newspapers delivered to it (that's the main reason I went for the 3G version - a paper delivered OTA each day), magazines and so on too.

It has a web browser on it which is ok for a quick glance at stuff. That works over WiFi or 3G. Amazon say that outside your home country the only sites you can access are Amazon or Wikipedia but I can look at anything I like when I'm abroad. The screen is fantastic for reading text, it's as good as readingof f apiece of paper but it's pretty cruddy for browsing the web, it's slow and only7 monochrome.

You can get newspapers delivered to it (that's the main reason I went for the 3G version - a paper delivered OTA each day), magazines and so on too.

Strangely enough Amazon released a Kindle app for the iPhone/iPad/Touch and Android and one or two other platforms and is rated very highly if you don't have/want the hardware but already have a smart device.

Strangely enough Amazon released a Kindle app for the iPhone/iPad/Touch and Android and one or two other platforms and is rated very highly if you don't have/want the hardware but already have a smart device.

Yeah, I've got the iPhone version. The app itself is OK but I find the iPhone, iPad and so on fundamentally flawed as readers go as backlit screens give me eye strain. Also I have to pay roaming charges if I want to get my newspaper when I'm abroad (£5/Mb IIRC) whereas it's 'free' on the 3G Kindle.

Which newspapers? This is an attraction, together with screen size vs. iPhone version unless I decide to go for an iPad at some point (the backlighting doesn't bother me as such).

Would it do the Times, if you did the paywall bit, and do you pay subscription to Amazon for the other papers anyway?

I use the Kindle app on my iPad all the time. It's where I get the majority of books from.

I haven't bought a 'proper' book since I started using it. That said, the Kindle itself is much better in daylight than an iPad for reading. If you're doing all the reading in the house, you'll be fine, but the Kindle screen is much better than the iPad outside.

There's a list of the newspapers here. I subscribe to the Telegraph but have just noticed that The TImes is available now (it wasn't last time I looked) so I'll be changing over.

The subscription is paid to Amazon once a month.

Oh dear:

>> Periodicals are not available on

Kindle for iPhone at this time