Golf MK4 Turbo cutting out

Ers

[ QUOTE ]

It Is caused by the turbo over boosting and cutting out,not to blow the engine. It is caused by the waste gate not opening.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is a real blinding good reason not to trust VW dealers with your motor.

There is no wastegate on his engine.

What have you been learning for 4 years? ROLLEY~14.GIF

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My New Beetle, 52 reg 55,000. Same Problem at 2500 revs usually when in 5th gear goes limp. At this exact moment is having dianostics at vw garage, thanks to advice from wetcornflake. I'm dreading what they are going to say! I bet it's 'sorry sir new turbo' and i've got no warranty! I will let you know what they say. thanks in advance

Thanks to wetcornflake for the helpful advice - I have got my golf booked into to the dealer (lightcliffe who you may know being from the bradford area) and I will be interested to see what the VAG COM reports.

For anyone who is interested and has access there is a really good article in the technical forum of Volkswagen Driver magazine (issue 60 May 05) by Andrew Chapple (volkswizard) which is exactly about this problem.

In his article the 'cure' was to extend the mechanical linkage (that controlled by the N75 valve) on the turbo which alters the position of the vanes. By lengthening the linkage the rate at which boost pressure rises is reduced.

Will let you know the outcome when fault diagnosed. smashfreakB.gif

jump.gifAltering the linkage on the VNT mechanism is only a bodge, when you have a turbo repaired or serviced, when completed, it has to be properly callibrated.

It has to be mounted in its own manifold on a test rig,

(If you buy new VW turbo comes with manifold)it is run up to diffrering speed, and the output set to pre set pressures by adjusting the VNT mechanism,

the pre sets are to conform with the different engine management chips. This susequently gives you greater engine life and is the whole point of the chip putting your engine into Limp mode.

You may on the other hand be a boy racer and wish to tweek and tune your engine, In this case carry on and good luck.

just got back from VW dealer and have the following points:

1) they don't use VAG COM - when asked why the tech said they are not allowed to use it. Obviously they use an equivalent system but isn't VAG COM a VW/Audi endorsed or indeed derived product?

2) Fault not there on my golf now (always the case isn't it) but the ECU had recorded the defect as sporadic charge pressure controll fault. Just to test the car I opened it up on an clear bit of uphill and wow the turbo kept going all the way! laugh.gif

Car is booked back in so that they can carry out more tests when i can leave the car with them. The technician suggested that the VNT mechanism can sieze when hot thus triggering limp mode and that he has known turbos less than a year old fail. confused.gif

Oh by the way I am no 'boy racer' and would never do anything bodged to damage my beloved Golf. jump.gif

Hi glad to hear your making progress

But you could run into probs if your not using Vag Com tester. The Vag Com system has an accessory that plugs in to test all the wiring to the componants that relay info to the Chip this was the problem I had. If your are in Bradford go to Dixon VW on Canal Road They are gen'd up. most non vw garages take them there for diagnostics and they dont rob you.

I did same as you tried 2 non VW garages first. might as well have thrown my money down drain.

allas not all VW agents are that good

As a matter of interest what was the fault code they came up with

Thats why I thought it was strange why they didn't use VAG COM as they are an approved main VW dealer. They use a system called VAS (then some numbers after it like 1851 which I assume the the version no.)

There was no fault code on the printout the tech showed me but it described the fault as "sporadic charge pressure control fault".

He also said that the turbo has a two year warrenty and that as mine is just over two years old then there may be some good will gesture. I hope so as the part price alone last time was £788!!

Incidently later on that day on my way home from work engined limped when overtaking on the motorway! Stupid of me to think the fault had gone away but it does raise the point that this is a potentially dangerous situation.

Hi

just a thought there's a chap in blackpool repairs turbo's

turborepairs.com Tel. 01253 407646

He did one for me, He arranges pickup of yours one day, recons it the following day, you have it delivered back the 3rd day he did one for me £195.00 inc VAT, Pick up and re delivery, and gives a 12 months return to base warranty.

Dont forget Turbo needs to be still on Ex. manifold

help golf tdi x plate had new air flow meter

now its sat for a day and seems 2 have no turbo power although a turbo noise can still be heard faintly car drives ok just no kick.

mate put on his snap on machine and the folowning code appeared

turbo pressure control 17964

(control limit below minimal) p1556

(error occurs intermitting) any help b4 i take to the local auto man would be great thanks neil [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

just a quick note to update this thread. I have been informed by the main dealer that my golf needs a new turbo - apparently they tried the MAP sensor first then the N75 valve before concluding that the turbo itself was faulty.

They then proceeded to tell me that as the previosly renewed turbo was out of its 2 year warrenty (only by a couple of months) then i would have to pay for the replacement £900 please!

Not happy with this i phoned VW customer care who were very helpful and given my circumstances (ie 2nd turbo only 2yr old and 15k miles) they agreed to pay 50% of the bill.

Whilst I am not happy with a second turbo failing the good will gesture by VW has softened the blow.

Moral of the story? anyone who does not like what the dealer tells them and have a genuine grievance then contact VW customer care (number on VW webpage) - after all they are there to help.

Many thanks to all the help from contributers on this site (esp Wetcornflake). I had a much stronger argument with the knowledge I gleamed from this site.

Hey guys I'm also new to the forums. I see that you're talking a lot about the Golf 4 here, so i thought I'd add one more question. I own a TDI, and since I'm not happy with the power it makes, I'd like to install a better turbo. Does anyone know how much boost the STOCK turbo runs? That would help me make my decision better.

Thank you!

What TDI do you own? This dictates which turbo you have at the moment. There's always a bit of slack available in the turbo which can be used by increasing fuelling and boost pressure to give you more power. Bigger turbo wouldn't be first on my list for more power.

Edit. Also, start your own thread with a question like this, rather than joining someone elses with an unrelated issue. 169144-ok.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...