Milltek Quads (Non-resonated)...

RedRobin

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Matt....Strange you should mention the 'looking better when duller' - I have just returned home after a short drive and saw they have already dulled a wee bit and your exact thought crossed my brain. Andy will want to keep them sparkling though - Due to his "sudden addiction to cleaning products"!

Awesome charged me £695 exVAT as a special deal for Non-resonated (slightly quieter Resonateds cost a bit more) Catback Quads including Abt rear valance (essential). If you contact Andy at Awesome, you must mention my name (Robin, not Red) to get same deal - He asked me to tell you this. Painting and fitting was £160 privately.

Fitting Millteks will improve flow and therefore performance (about +10bhp). My quicker throttle response and power increase at 80-110 range is to be expected. The whole mod package is subtle. I have yet to test properly for M'way drone - 3,500 revs held for a few miles but will report when I have. If there is any 'drone' it will be easily covered by playing music.

As I have reported previously - The sound is most definitely deeper and richer 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif I'm now realising how much I missed knowing the car I was driving had an engine! Like the rest of the GTI, the engine is 'quality'. I'm a happy bunny (with a boner according to LeMan).

Hi Si....Nice job in Photoshop (or equivalent). I considered the same, especially as some photos I had seen appeared to show an open slot due to lighting shadow. But I don't like the idea of pretending that there is a slot there by black painting. I actually prefer the early DSG versions having square vents exposed behind the honeycomb front fogs panels rather than filled in honeycomb. I don't like anything 'false' or imitation if I have a choice.

But thanks for bothering to illustrate the idea - Appreciated 169144-ok.gif

Hi spankit - Re dump valves (I nearly wrote vulvas!!) ....Apparently the Mk5 FSI Turbo engine has them built in to the turbo and so it's not a good idea to mess with aftermarket NONO3.GIF . I have 'driven' the Audi Abt TT and the air dump sounds are awesome but. I better explain that I test motor racing sim games for Mac some of which are alarmingly accurate!

---- smlove2.gif ------------ smlove2.gif ----

I might have been misinformed about dump valves being built-in but anyway I'm inclined to leave that aspect well alone.

Red did you:

1. Get abt rear fitted first, then get Awesome to do the exhaust.

2. Get the kit from Awesome and have it all fitted by someone else.

3. Get Awesome to fit exhaust and drive round with your ar$e showing untill rear fitted.

PS. Hope Awesome gave you a free hat to add to your collection.

Hi Matt....

2. Awesome delivered whole kit of Millteks plus Abt to my selected private bodyshop who did as follows:

Bodyshop painted Abt first and then fitted all in one session (3 hours including A-Glaze the Abt and cleaning whole car). They recommended against painting the granulated side valances, especially on any cars in metallic finish, saying they wouldn't be happy with the finish meeting their usual standards. Someone else told me these particular guys have won awards for their work.

3. Running around with my arse hanging out would have got me arrested!!

You haven't seen how many hats I've got already!

[ QUOTE ]

Excellent, I am becoming more and more convinced that a Miltek exhaust will be the way to go for me too

[/ QUOTE ]

....You only have to ask yourself what brands of exhaust get discussed here? - Millteks, Millteks, and Millteks! Phone and speak to them, check out all the info on their web site....I really think they are professionals in their field. Their exhaust products sound deep and sporty but not boy-racer like those idiots who fit bike boxes to their cars!!

If, like me, you like to hear your engine as a driving aid and don't want too much more bhp power, then it's def the way to go imo.

Btw, I would like everyone to know that I receive nothing except a thankyou and good relations with Milltek by my sincere recommendation of their exhausts. Others here who now have Millteks fitted sound well pleased.

[ QUOTE ]

If I went with the twin pipes, I wouldn't have to change the standard valence would I.... hmmm seems like a good way to get the noise without the change in appearence (which I do like, but am not sure that my wife will...)

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's right. I obviously love the look of the quads and they probably sound a fraction deeper but I now have the consideration of whether to code or change the side valances and then what about the front spoiler? It is a slippery slope!

EDIT: I forgot to say that AlanH has the twins and also Non-resonated so check his reports as well. I don't personally think that the Resonated are worth the extra cost unless you want to keep it all quiet like standard. But there may be another factor and that's which works best with mapping mods? Res or Non-res? That's best answered by Milltek.

[ QUOTE ]

I might have been misinformed about dump valves being built-in but anyway I'm inclined to leave that aspect well alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're right, all turbo engines have them or they would get damaged when you suddenly shut the throttle. The Forge ones will bleed off a bit more air which has the effect of more noise, but the turbo will then take a bit longer than standard to spool up once you get on the power again.

Show or Go? Whether you want one would depend on your answer to that