• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got this off another forum, interesting if its true.. sekret.gif

"Car and Driver (US)

VW pours on 40 more horsepower and skims off the cottage cheese.

BY AARON ROBINSON

March 31 2006

Sources within VW say that the German car maker is preparing an anniversary GTI to mark the 30th birthday of original hot hatch.

Although the celebratory model is said to enjoy a power increase of 40 horsepower, the biggest changes will be to the chassis with bespoke Quaife limited slip differential and externally mounted damper reserves, similar to those found on the UK delivered Renault Sport Clio. Working in partnership with European tyre manufacturer Continental, sources say that the car will come with 18 inch BBS CH wheels as standard.

All 1000 individually numbered vehicles will be hand built at the company's Wolfsburg plant in Germany." FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Got this off another forum, interesting if its true.. sekret.gif

"Car and Driver (US)

VW pours on 40 more horsepower and skims off the cottage cheese.

BY AARON ROBINSON

March 31 2006

Sources within VW say that the German car maker is preparing an anniversary GTI to mark the 30th birthday of original hot hatch.

Although the celebratory model is said to enjoy a power increase of 40 horsepower, the biggest changes will be to the chassis with bespoke Quaife limited slip differential and externally mounted damper reserves, similar to those found on the UK delivered Renault Sport Clio. Working in partnership with European tyre manufacturer Continental, sources say that the car will come with 18 inch BBS CH wheels as standard.

All 1000 individually numbered vehicles will be hand built at the company's Wolfsburg plant in Germany." FIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Toti.......... is this an April Fools trick??!!

fekr.gif169144-ok.gif

Probably Tony!

I can't see VW hand building any cars and that GTI as listed above would be a lot quicker than an R32 (taking the lower weight and drive train loses into account). I can't see VW allowing this tbh.

Also, the cost would be huge, I think the sachs dampers on the Clio cost aroun 10 times more than the standard dampers. The quaife diff would be pretty pricey too and you can be your house that they'll add on loads for the extra power.

I reckon that GTI would retail at about £23k retail.

Anyway, this is surely an April Fools smile.gif

I assure you its no april fools joke on my behalf. If its true or not I wouldn't have a feckin idea! Don't care too much really coz we've never had an anni version here in Australia and I doubt this will change with the mk5, considering we can barely get the standard car. The anni version sounds awesome though!

[ QUOTE ]

I can't see VW hand building any cars

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what they class as hand built.

SEAT an arm of VW always claimed the LEON CUPRA R and IBIZA CUPRA R were hand built. What happened iirc was SEAT would make a more or less finished cupra with a few slight different spec parts the production line could handle then take it off the production line send it too there sport factory. At this factory they would Hand fit new bumpers, brembo brakes, suspension iirc, wheels and a few other bits and bobs. So in effect it was hand finished.

Ford did a very similar thing with the focus RS just them been ford always bragged about it and got it in the mainstreem press.

Make of this what you will but reading back in an Autoexpress from 2004 there was an Bernd P interview article saying there would be a GTI light.

Main points mentioned were:

Set to go on sale 2006

230bhp

Doors, bonnet and tailgate made from hi-tech alloy for weight saving

Components such as aircon, leccy windows ditched to also save weight

Larger turbo and remapped ECU to get 230bhp

Sounds like the 30th anniversary in the making for me. However ditching the aircon and leccy windows is not to my liking!

The 25th Anni had an uprated turbo so that part of it kinda makes sense.

I am sure "hand built" means the difference between the standard production line car to the specific upgraded model - thus as Snoopy says, it's those extras that make the car....

No way are Audi going to hand craft or hand weld the chassis for the RS4. But fit the wheels, make many changes from the standard build - yes may well be done more by human than robot.

But to call it hand built is probably economical with the Truth. But no different to free-range hens (are they free to leave the farm at will) and fresh orange juice (freshly opened? or just plucked from the tree?) sekret.gif