Starting Problems

Waitey

Hi all

i have recently had a starting problem with my 1.8T. It is ok from cold, its just when i stop after a journey and turn off the engine then try and restart it straight away it wont start , i have to have the starter motor turning over and feather the throttle for a few seconds then it will start, sometimes it ticks over a bit lumpy (goes up to 2000 revs and then eventually settles down) after doing this. Is it anything i should worry about? 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is the temp sensor then on my car as you look at the engine, its on the rhs toward the back under the plastic cover (you can see it as it protrudes slightly). Green top with black clip on 4 pin plug and 'U' shape clip holding it into place. Took me less than 5 mins to do mine.

Ideally would help if Mulkbear can confirm if its the same as my engine is 1.6 not 1.8.

I would take wobby up on his offer and check it out on VAG-com. The symptoms do sound like the coolant temp sensor and i am 99% sure that it will be.

Tip

When changing a temperature sensor always allow the engine to cool, Remove the coolant tank cap and the refit it (to release any pressure in the system) and always buy a new seal (around 25p).

Mulkbear... is the sensor the one that reads varying temps into the ECU? Or is it something else?

If we checked the temperature on VAG-COM are we expecting it to work fine then give strange readings?? What we looking for/ expecting to happen? I have watched and logged it on my TDI engine, i presume it will be the same on a 1.8T

Cheers Mulkbear, where is the coolant temp sensor located on the 1.8T. bowdown.gif

Depending on the price of the sensor i might just get a new one. If its pricey its off to Wobby's workshop to check for sure.

Wobby the only problem i have with meeting up is that er indoors uses the car during the week, but i could travel to you if need be on a weekend (which area of South Yorkshire are you?), but like i say i will see how much they are first

beerchug.gif

Had a quick look for the sensor this morning, it looks like its at the back behind the expansion tank, could this be it?

If so i need to move the tank out of the way to get to it, i presume i can just take out the screws and move it to one side to gain access. 169144-ok.gif

Village in between Barnsley and Doncaster.

This Saturday, going to a kit car show in cheshire

Sunday up in Scotland!

How about an evening? We will then travel up to Headingly, to brians fish and chip place!! Could meet up anywhere, where you from in Leeds?

Hi Wobby, i live about 1/2 mile from Leeds Bradford Airport. i have never been to Bryans Fish and chip shop even though i only live about 5 miles from it. Have heard its good though.

I could make it on an evening ok. Its a long way for you to come though, are you sure you dont mind. beerchug.gif