AMD

PBREWER

Just read your comments yesterday re having AMD do a re-map and exhaust switch. I spoke with AMD yesterday and they told me they just re-map the existing chip so no de-soldering or seperate chip. I also asked local VAG garage about the warranty if the exhaust was changed and they said as long as it's back of the CAT there is no problem ! Has anyone been told anything different to me as i'm seriously considering having AMD do the work ?

so they reprogram it via the serial port? i didn't know AmD did that... all good.

On the exhaust thats pretty much their view on most mods... like if you change the brakes and stuff... they just don't warrenty the stuff you change or anything that it affetcs (within reason). What did they say re the warrenty of chipping it though? not that they would ever spot it.

Didn't ask the VAG dealer about warranty re the chip as i don't see how they could spot it now that they re-map the original VAG chip and it can't be traced usuing the same VAG diagnostic software that AMD use. On another thread, having just sold my 4 Motion for the R32 i'm very happy performance wise as it's evrything i thought it would be and if AMD do the work then i think it will truly be a proper piece of kit, my only gripe at this time is that i don't think the finish and build quality is quite as good as the 4 Motion (built in Wolfsburg) vs This job built in Slovakia as the Wolfsburg plant has already switched to the Mk V ! Small gripe considering all the other negative press that's crept in !!

Regarding the AMD upgrade..what difference performance wise does this achieve..??...as standard the R32 does 0-60 in about 6.2 secs depends which mag you read and tops out at 153 mph...so other than a better sounding exhaust note...what do we actually get for our £1000+...has anyone got this upgrade and if so could they shed some light on the issue..Black R32 here with leather and loving every minute

From what i understand you just get more sheer grunt throughout the power curve and even smoother delivery. As good as the standard package is, in my opinion it needs to breath a bit better and rev a bit more freely to really make it as quick as it should be with a 3.2 deplacement. I can live with the understeer dynamics as the rack is that much quicker although not as bullet proof as on the 4 motion, but i want that extra grunt !

[ QUOTE ]

Just read your comments yesterday re having AMD do a re-map and exhaust switch. I spoke with AMD yesterday and they told me they just re-map the existing chip so no de-soldering or seperate chip. I also asked local VAG garage about the warranty if the exhaust was changed and they said as long as it's back of the CAT there is no problem ! Has anyone been told anything different to me as i'm seriously considering having AMD do the work ?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm - I would double-check this. I don't think AmD use SPP but they do use the original chip - but they do remove and re-solder it. that said you'd never be able to tell it had been re-soldered (we are not talking visible blobs of solder here - what they will spot is the bloody great black encryption module that AmD stick to the bottom of the chip)

ths is true of Audis - assume they do same for R32

that said their work is good and it seems a good value upgrade

As no one can come up with any information regarding performance changes after having the AMD conversion...£1000+ for an engine that sounds a bit better an exhaust note that is slightly better also does sound a bit over the top.....if the performance figures shown after the AMD conversion showed an actual decrease in performance would anyone still go for the remap just to get a better reving angine with a better sounding exhaust...???..while we are on the subject...are AMD the only firm so far doing a conversion like this for the R32....nice to see a comparision test....with other manufacturers

Well I've just been taken around for a 20min passenger ride in an R32 with the Amd and milltek.

Firstly, the exhaust note - less boomy (can u believe that!) and not any louder from what I could tell from the passenger seat. Definatly less noisy around the 2-3k revs mark - and infact sounds nice and smooth, just how the standard car is from 3k onwards.

So thumbs up definatly just for the exhaust.

Also looks a good deal meaner too - as the pipes are that much bigger in real life when my car was parked next to his. The Milltek pipes fill the bumper much better than the now small looking stock pipes!!

Performance -

Where the R32 feels gutsy, then noisy, then race car, the breathless at 5500 rpm.

The AMD remap feels powerful, race car, then full on all the way upto 6200rpm.

The car feels so much more brutal in its power delivery than stock. It also feels like it wants to go right on past 5500 without question each and everytime you do it.

The car really does feel like its breathing so much better - and from this brief passenger seat encounter, I would spend £1000 on getting my car done!!

It's also worth noting that the owner told me that AMD map the car thru the OBD port, so they don't infact touch the ecu in any physical way - which is always a huge bonus.

Needless to say I will be having this mod done to my motor just as soon as I enquire about any insurance premiums and whether it will affect my vw finance and gap.

Hey everyone! My first post here on tyresmoke.net. I'm from VWVortex and live in Southen California. I have a 337/Anniversary Edition currently and like hundreds of other are waiting waiting waiting for the r32!!!! The AMD upgrade sounds AWESOME! and I love the look of the Miltek exhaust. WOuld love to hear a sound clip of it though. Is the AMD tuning availible here in the states??? Or will it be availible? Also, It wasnt quite clear if the ECU reprogramming was completely invisible to the Dealerships computers and such. Is it? Also, Is AMD the best way to go? Are there any alternantives or Supercharger/Turbo kits?

Thanks!

-David

beerchug.gif

Hi david and welcome!

i think in the UK AMD are currently the only company offering chips on the R32 (don't quote me though). Pretty sure they don't deal in the states though...

if you search though this forum where were some links about super charging kits of it... don't know of anyone thats done it though!

so how long you gota wait?

GTI FLY...What an excellent review both informative and constructive....makes the thought of getting my R32 upgraded even more likely...any other thoughts about the AMD conversion let us all read could be the review that makes our minds up...BLACK R32 WITH LEATHER...and loving every minute

Only too happy to post my views mate!

One thing I forgot to say was that after a hard blast, the exhaust pipes pretrude(?) 1-2 inches further out from the Bumper! Couldn't believe it myself - it was the owner that pointed it out to me!

I guess the exhaust system expands quite some bit after getting hot!!

The actual Milltek system is cat back, and its pretty long - starting off from just after midway along the car.

Still can't get over the exhuast sticking out more after giving it some!

WHAT?! I dont think its Scientifically possible for the metal to expand that much. Maybe one of the rubber mounts that the exhaust mounts to is getting hot and sagging which is causing the exhaust to pivot on something and rock out a bit further from the rear valence???

As for my wait for an R32, I have to wait until Either Jan, Feb, March. They arent in the states yet. I wonder if I could order the AMD stuff from overseas?? Hmmm

-GR

[ QUOTE ]

Only too happy to post my views mate!

One thing I forgot to say was that after a hard blast, the exhaust pipes pretrude(?) 1-2 inches further out from the Bumper! Couldn't believe it myself - it was the owner that pointed it out to me!

I guess the exhaust system expands quite some bit after getting hot!!

Still can't get over the exhuast sticking out more after giving it some!

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard exhaust does this too and the exhaust on my TT also did this, so I guess it's pretty normal. shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I had this done to my R32. Heres the thread AMD / Milltek Thread ! The BHP went up to 267 ( if I remember correctly) and the torque up to 260.

[/ QUOTE ]

My car gave slightly more bhp/torque with the AmD re-map & Milltek system although my engine had covered more miles IIRC. It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm booked in at AmD at the end of August/early Sept for the next phase of mods - Schrick cams & Milltek high-flow sports cats grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i think in the UK AMD are currently the only company offering chips on the R32 (don't quote me though). Pretty sure they don't deal in the states though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it on reliable information that AmD are venturing into the states. laugh.gif

Questions posed to AmD:

<font color="blue"> </font> "Is the Reprogramming part of the AmD/ Milltek upgrade offered for the VW

Golf R32 done via the ODB2 port or is it a chip removal and replacement

process. Is the code change visible to the dealer?

Does the upgrade include 'Before- and- After' Dyno Run to compare the

torque and bhp values?

What values are you getting from customers cars?" <font color="blue"> </font>

Reply from AmD:

<font color="red"> </font> "We carry out a full diagnostic check first on the vehicle, then run it on

the rolling road to test the setting and output first. This confirms

fuelling, lambda ETC are running correctly. We then remove the VW chip and

place our serial stream programmer to the ECU to map as we go. This ensures

your cars fuel fuelling, ignition and running systems are set correctly to

suit your cars running characteristics. All of this is carried out on our 4

wheel drive rolling road and takes @3.5-4.0 hours. Once a suitable program

is made, we then reflash the code onto the original VW used chip and replace

it to the board.

A final power test is made and we then send you up the road to test. We have

done 27 of these now, power gains range from standard cars producing 228BHP

to 243BHP up to 264BHP to 274BHP modified. There torque values also seem to

vary 225LBS to 238LBS standard with 255-273LBS modified. As you can see

these cars do vary quite allot, making individual remapping essential to

optimise settings and end results."

"We reprogrammed your original ECU, it is undetectable to dealers & you will

get a before & after results of around 270BHP & 270+FT LB of Torque." </font>

Hope that this answers some of the questions in this thread.

I guess what they're saying is that it shouldn't be detecable from the diagnostics point of view, but if someone (VW mechanic) happens to look closely at the ECU, surely they'd be able to see that it's been opened - I presume there are seals on these things?!?!?

Anthony..

Audi ECUs just have a sricky sealant and some screws - it all reseals after and I don't hink you'd know if it had been opened or not.

The qulaity of soldering of these companies is excellent so that would not give it away either

what you need to ask AmD is do they add an encryption module to the bottom of the chip. This is what they did with Audis. It is inteneded to protect the AmD code so you can't nick it - what it also does is make it bleeding obvious the chip had been altered (the module is stuck with black plasticy solder as is large.