Phatnoise

Trefor

Hi.

We're collecting a new Golf GTi in a few weeks time. Just sold our Audi TT. Gone for tornado Red, Xenons, Winter Pack, cloth, 6 disc in dash headunit (RCD 500?) and armrest.

Anyway, to the point - phatnoise. Where is the best place to buy it? What connection does it connect to? (Aux?). Does the head unit allow you to cycle through tracks or maybe display the track titles on the head unit itself?

Thanks.

Hi,

Just fitted one to my Golf GTI. VW charge 500. I bought it on ebay from an Audi Dealer in the US for $190. I just had to get a new cable for it - Phatnoise to VW Changer cable.

If you have a VW changer cable, you need nothing more. If not, you need to get one.

The system works by reading out album names using text recognition.

Ed

Thanks.

I'm on business in the US all the time so US ebay is no problem for me (in fact I'm in California now ... hmm).

Do I need to buy the Head Unit to Phatnoise cable from VW? (or can I get it from one of those Audioleads suppliers?

Does it allow you to cycle through CDs/folders on the Phatnoise in a simlar way to how you can with CDs (i.e. jump to next folder/next CD etc.).

T/.

I have a Phatnoise installed, I just put it under the passenger seat using velcro strips.

The cable comes out from the plastic cover under the left-hand side of the seat.

I used the cable from my MKIV, Part No 1J0051592A and adapter 1J0051445D.

You use the CD select buttons 1-6 for various functions.

CD2 - Browse by playlist

CD3 - Browse by Album

CD4 - Browse by Artist

I have the playlists sorted alphabetically a-d, e-h, i-l etc... This allows you to get to a particular artist a bit quicker.

When you hit the CD select buttons a voice reads out the playlist, artist or album title.

You can also create a playlist in addition to the ones above which includes all songs on the disc. This means when you hit mix it will play random songs from all songs on the disc.

I have updated my hard disk to 40Gb with the hack that is available on the Internet. At the moment I have about 350 albums on it and it is 60% full.

I have just done 1600 miles touring round the Scottish Highlands and didn’t hear the same song twice. 169144-ok.gif

Hello. Anybody know if there is any way of running this on a Mac (I'm on 10.4.7) without having to use virtual arsing PC? Resent having to spend extra cash over and above retail. Suppose I could use Bootcamp to boot Windows up, but that would be even more expensive (new copy of XP or whatever). Any hacks or shareware around?

confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hello. Anybody know if there is any way of running this on a Mac (I'm on 10.4.7) without having to use virtual arsing PC? Resent having to spend extra cash over and above retail. Suppose I could use Bootcamp to boot Windows up, but that would be even more expensive (new copy of XP or whatever). Any hacks or shareware around?

confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you asked, i was just this min ago reading about using this with OSX, have a look at these sites:

http://www.buzzneon.com/PhatMac/

http://phatbox.sixpak.org/phatbox/mac.phtml