GTI Carbonfibre Hoods....

RedRobin

[ QUOTE ]

But there are different ways of building up carbon fibre. F1 tubs are put together in a different way to other components. If you want to look a Kubicas crash, look at how all that was left was the tub, everything else on the car had disintegrated into hundreds of shards of razor sharp CF. My guess would be that cosmetic bonnets aren't made from a particularly strong weave of CF. I'd be interested to hear more detail though. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Me too. I have started to write an email to OSIR with some very specific questions about layers of cloth, whether omnidirectional, absorption properties etc. IF I decide I'd like to have a CF bonnet I must feel very confident that it meets safety requirements for the road, and also I want to arm myself with such info before investigating the insurance consequences.

I will, of course, report my findings here 169144-ok.gif.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Having more than one car you also often find that at certain times you wish you were in the other car.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Quite right - I had a bog-standard 1.4 Mk4 Golf for a year while I still had the BMW and, for quite different reasons, I often wished I was in the other.

thanks for the pic robin. cf bonnet doesn't look as good on a grey car as it does on the red frown.gif .your spot on about my reasons for not having 2 cars. i was thinking of keeping my old saab estate and getting a lotus elise but after driving the elise and the gol gti back to back i decided on the gti for one simple reason, it put a bigger smile on my face.

ok, so if they are heavy and have a high centre of gravity why do people love them so much. 2 yrs after buying mine im still grinning every time i go out in her. i want to keep her and gradually mod her into a very light weight track car. every track day i have been on i have seen a mk1 or mk2 gti stripped out. even at the ring i was overtaken by two of them!! such old cars are still fun.

[ QUOTE ]

A bonnet is designed to crumple/fold in certain ways in a crash and also more important to cushion the blow of a head if you hit someone crossing the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Hmmm - That kinda raises the issue of someone throwing themself on your hood being uninjured until their head made contact with the strong carbon fibre! Could be potentially a very nasty insurance wrangle.

[ QUOTE ]

thanks for the pic robin. cf bonnet doesn't look as good on a grey car as it does on the red frown.gif .

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's not a very good pic I found, Jay. I'll see if I can find a better one. The grey in the black CF pattern should look dandy with the GTI Steel Grey I reckon.

Vman - Thanks for the OSIR link but I'm already aware and all my CF bits are from them. No point in me changing my Abt rear valance.

SilverArrow - Each to their own but the CF bonnet looks better in real life than in pics. Anyway, I'm not going for it but found it very helpful in understanding about CF bonnets by starting this thread.

All being well, my next mods are happening next week....Under my stock bonnet! grin.gif

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I liked the beige leather on the dark blue cars, but I think that SilverArrow was referring to the leather engine cover parts you can get - Seen at the GTI Inters.

[/ QUOTE ]

yells3ub4.jpg

Will you be ordering it with the g-string option Robin yelrotflmao.gif

....That's extremely well done, very original, and looks dandy with the chrome and yellow, but not for me.

I notice that quite a few peeps remove the wadding from the inside of their bonnet - What's that about? Hardly weight saving but does it slightly increase you hearing the engine from inside the car? Looks better without the black wadding imo.