Uneven tyre wear

vincentbob

I recently noticed the front tyres on my 2003 TDI sport estate were wearing on their inner edge, I took the car to Kwikfit and had the tracking set. They found it was toeing in as I expected, and the car felt more stable when it returned, so I swapped tyres front to back.

Now I notice that the tyres are still wearing on the inside, nearside worse than offside.

I have checked the various suspension bushes and they look fine, no splits and excessive movement, also the car is quiet without rattles etc.

I have had the car from new and it has not been kerbed.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Best regards.

Toe in wouldn't make them wear on the inside edge, something else is wrong aswell.

Kwikfit can't even fit tyres without thinking really hard, so tracking a multilink suspension car is way beyond them.

Take it to a professional tyre tracking establishment. Ask before you let them get their hands on it if they have the equipment to check the geometry of a multilink setup. If you get an answer along the lines of "Well, we'll have a look see" etc. then walk away. VW dealers should be able to provide the correct service, or they'll point you to someone who can!. 169144-ok.gif

• 2 years later...

I've got the same problem on my 52 reg estate. Had the tracking adjusted but it didn't cure the problem. Same thing has occured again, tracking out again but not loads - +1.2 and + 1.3 should be +0.6 apparently.

The machine - digital - said the camber was out on both.

Are the settings the same for the sport suspension model as other passats? It occurred to me that they might not be and that the tyre people may just have the settings for passats as a whole?:confused:

Do you guys go over speed humps with any regularity??

My old man has the same issue on his Avensis - the cause - 16 times over speed humps on the way in and out of home!

Takes a while for it to get noticed but according to the guy that sorted the old fella out even slowly over them 'scrubs' a bit off the tyres each time due to the angle and pressures involved.

Road tyres are made for performing on flatish roads, not bonky angled speed bumps!

• 3 months later...

I agree with the speed bump theory, we live on an estate with loads of the island style speed bumps (not the continuous sleeping policeman style). Both of our cars experience wear on the inside, more so on the tyres that carry the extra weight. We have had the tracking and the geometry checked on both and both are fine. We are now in 2 minds to either carry on straddling them and get the tyre wear or drive over them with one side and risk damage to the suspension (before you reply, we do slow down to about 10-15 mph).