Modified car insurance; who do you use?

JonC

My insurance expires today and my car is garaged until I can source a (hopefully) cheaper insurance quote. I have been paying my previous insurer, Elephant.co.uk £900 for a 10 month fully comprehensive policy to insure my modified GTI. I'm 37 in a few days, with 2 years NCB. The excess was £250. Thing is with Elephant, is that they classify everything which doesn't come on a standard car as modified, including leather, cruise, xenons etc. So should the car be stolen, one would recieve the value or replacement of a standard car. Not ideal when my car has all but 2 of the optional extras! Greenlight want £450 excess (!!!) but have quoted circa £750 for an annual fully comp policy. Any suggestions, anyone? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Adrian Flux are pretty good about modified cars, worth getting a quote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried them and they were more expensive. I forgot to mention I have a SP30, a SP50 and a 50/50 minor accident in a company car to take into account. frown.gif

Try "A-Plan" Jon, who I know are mod-friendly.

I`ve been with them a few years now, and of course, they try it on every year at renewal time by charging more than they need to, but the usual `gentle persuasion` of finding someone else to better their quote always does the trick, and they either beat it or match it.

Okay, I don`t know how good they are when you need to claim, (and I hope I don`t have to find out), but you can say that about any company, but as I said, I do know that they are definitely mod-friendly, or they have been with me over the years. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Try "A-Plan" Jon, who I know are mod-friendly.

I`ve been with them a few years now, and of course, they try it on every year at renewal time by charging more than they need to, but the usual `gentle persuasion` of finding someone else to better their quote always does the trick, and they either beat it or match it.

Okay, I don`t know how good they are when you need to claim, (and I hope I don`t have to find out), but you can say that about any company, but as I said, I do know that they are definitely mod-friendly, or they have been with me over the years. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately worth a call; Cheers encee beerchug.gif

The cover was with someone I'd never heard of (Ensign?) and when I called back to ask them for a price with a remap, they had got my list of mods incorrect. When I tried to interrupt to correct him he took what I said as the same as what he'd said and when I tried to explain that it wasn't, he didn't really care too much.

I am concerned that if I were insured with AF I wouldn't get a high level of cover and there was no mention of like-for-like on mods (which I know Greenlight do) so if I had an accident or the car was stolen, I have no idea about what I'd actually get back for the car. The experience just didn't give me much confidence to be honest.

Spoke to one insurer today (can't remember who as I've spoken to a few) and they said that the prices change every 30 days, so if you're lucky enough to call on the day which they are at their cheapest, you clearly benefit.